98 GP1200 problems in water

my 98 gp1200 was rebuilt not to long ago due to an awesome seller on here, but anyway I had it out 2 times since rebuild, at the end of this last session it started bogging down and stalling until it just wouldnt stay started. when I got it home i started it without running water in it and it ran and sounded fine then I connected a hose to it to clean it out and almost immediately it started bogging and stalling again. What does this mean?

blown head gasket or exaust gasket allowing water to enter the cylinder.

Quote Originally Posted by jdog800 View Post
    blown head gasket or exaust gasket allowing water to enter the cylinder.
    I agree, take the head off and post a pic of the cyl.

I pulled the head it turns out there was a pin hole on the outter cylinder wall, It was patched but not very well, I cleaned it up real good and put jb weld on it, it was at the bottom corner of the outer cylinder wall so I did the best job I could in that small area.

Today after letting the jb weld sit over night I reassembled everything and it started right up I put the hose on it and it ran great for about 10mins I was pulling the hose out and it stalled. with the hose off I tryed to start it back up and it wont, pulled the plugs the are full of gas, I dried them and cleaned them, it started right up for about 30sec. and stalled again. now I'm getting nothin just turning.
    Any Ideas???

p.s. checked gaskets they looked good but I put all new anyway.

+1
    maybe you have a needle valve sticking open. when was the last time you went through carbs?

not sure motor was rebuilt by a friend who is out of town for a month. what should I do to find out if the needle valve is sticking???

+1
    Pull plugs and crank motor to clear out all fluids, put plugs back in then pull the pull off the flame arrestor, start ski and see if fuel is running down the carb throat. Then reply back

Quote Originally Posted by asia517 View Post
    not sure motor was rebuilt by a friend

I hear this time after time. I always say if you get a ski and they say that the carbs just have been rebuilt or even just aquiring a used ski, that the carbs would be the first thing I take apart. It is so easy just to spend a couple hours and really check them inside and out. Double check all the check valves, N&S, Spring arm level, and popoff pressure, not to mention all gaskets properly sealing. Just my .02 cents.

I have fuel going into the carb throat. I dont think I'm getting spark. also I checked one fuse but cant find the other I thought there were two fuses. what should I do to check for spark????

I already pulled a plug and pluged it into the wire layed it next to a bolt and saw no spark. what next??
    Last edited by asia517; 07-26-2008 at 03:36 PM.

Thread Information