Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Unhappy Salt Spots/Water Spots? on SHO

Has anyone else experienced salt spots/waterspots on the hull after skiing? I always wash down the ski and polish before putting away but guess the salt spots came from when i moored up in a bay the other day and reacted with the sunlight, its now left like a spot which appears to be under the paint?? any ideas as to how they can be removed?

+1
    Check out this thread:
    http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...ht=water+spots

I find that keeping you ski waked helps making cleanup easier. Adding vinegar to your wash water also seems to work well. Once, after riding in a freshwater lake near my house and not getting around to washing it until the next day, I had water spots that were like concrete. It was after a week of heavy rain, and the lake must have accumulated a lot of mineral rich runoff. I cleaned it up using a concentrated mix of water, vinegar and some hard water spot removing dishwasher powder.

Whats that whistling noise? jtskier11's Avatar
    +1
    Slightly diluted CLR works wonders!!!!!

+1
    waked
    Sorry... typo...I meant waxed.

+1
    Never wax with a carnauba wax...it is useless. Carnauba does not hold up to the extreme elements such as salt and hard water. Always use a polymer wax(these kind of waxes molecularly jacket coat the microscopic paint pores and hold up extremely well in the environment). After initial waxing purchase a bottle of Aerospace 303 and spray your entire ski down including mats, paint, trim and plastic gauge cover etc. Wipe off the excess and let it dry and then wipe off the excess again until it shines. This stuff is #1 on the market and is one of the best UV blockers you can get. It keeps the salt and hard water from attaching itself to the paint and will wipe right off even with water although I use the 50/50 vinegar/water for cleaning.

Also, a nice little tip...you can wipe your car down with this stuff including windows and trim and it will keep you from having to wash your car as often. It is a great diust repellent and usually I just rinse my truck off with water and wipe it down without having to use any soap! I do this once a month and my full detail every 6 months. It's also great on furniture and cabinets etc.

Get it at REI, ACE Hardware, or any camping/outdoor stores. You won't be disappointed!

P.s.....Costco has the new "ICE" by Simoniz which is a polymer and it does not leave the white powder around the edges of your decals.....keeps those edges clear!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
    Never wax with a carnauba wax...it is useless. Carnauba does not hold up to the extreme elements such as salt and hard water. Always use a polymer wax(these kind of waxes molecularly jacket coat the microscopic paint pores and hold up extremely well in the environment). After initial waxing purchase a bottle of Aerospace 303 and spray your entire ski down including mats, paint, trim and plastic gauge cover etc. Wipe off the excess and let it dry and then wipe off the excess again until it shines. This stuff is #1 on the market and is one of the best UV blockers you can get. It keeps the salt and hard water from attaching itself to the paint and will wipe right off even with water although I use the 50/50 vinegar/water for cleaning.

Also, a nice little tip...you can wipe your car down with this stuff including windows and trim and it will keep you from having to wash your car as often. It is a great diust repellent and usually I just rinse my truck off with water and wipe it down without having to use any soap! I do this once a month and my full detail every 6 months. It's also great on furniture and cabinets etc.

Get it at REI, ACE Hardware, or any camping/outdoor stores. You won't be disappointed!

P.s.....Costco has the new "ICE" by Simoniz which is a polymer and it does not leave the white powder around the edges of your decals.....keeps those edges clear!
    Ditto big time on the 303!! Expensive and sometimes hard to find. But worth every penny. I use Zaino on the ski itself.

Am having good results with "Ice" Paste!

Liquid does not seem to be as good- imo-

Walmart

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfmad View Post
    Am having good results with "Ice" Paste!

Liquid does not seem to be as good- imo-

Walmart
    Buy a cheap azz wax........ You get cheap wax results. Try a better wax. Like something from Adams Polishes or Zaino. You try Zaino once, youll never use anything else again.

+1
    I found one of the best polymer waxes to be Rejex. You can get it at Ace Hardware and True Value. The stuff is recommended and shipped with all new CCW wheels (for you car peeps) to keep road grime off polished wheels and keep them looking like new. Anyone who has owned polished aluminum wheels know how hard they are to take care of. It works extremely well on all the surfaces that make up our skis.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by hitman View Post
    I found one of the best polymer waxes to be Rejex. You can get it at Ace Hardware and True Value. The stuff is recommended and shipped with all new CCW wheels (for you car peeps) to keep road grime off polished wheels and keep them looking like new. Anyone who has owned polished aluminum wheels know how hard they are to take care of. It works extremely well on all the surfaces that make up our skis.

And don't forget the 303...it's added protection and keeps grime and dirt away

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information