Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

98 SLH falling on its face

I have a problem with my 98 SLH. It has been to the Polaris dealer and they dont even know whats wrong with it. Heres what is happening. As soon as you start it up runs great for about 5 min. once it warms up it surges power up and down untill it just bogs down to almost a stop. If you let off of the gas for about 30 sec and hit the gas again it will jump out of the water and go but as soon as it plains out it starts the process all over again.
    problems that are known to be wrong. Multi disp says low power but Volt is good.
    Polaris dealer said Comp was only 95 lbs. But this ski sat for severl years.
    fuel gage does not work. oil gage does not work.
    so far dealer ship had rebuilt the carbs, bypassed the fuel shut off switch, and replaced all fuel lines.
    can some one please give me some ideas. ski only has 104 hours on it and i would like to get it back running.

Did you test the fuel tank vent and make sure it is allowing air in? It should open with 1psi, basically you should be able to blow into it. If the vent gets clogged the tank will presurize and starve your ski of fuel.

I have a problem similar to what you are describing. A good way to test this is to run the ski with the gas cap not fully tightned so air can enter the tank.

It took over 10PSI for me to break the seal on my air valve! My ski sat for 3 years just as yours did. Better off just replacing it!

your comp. should be 125, 95 seems a bit low.

Just my 2 cents

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by CrYsTaLiZeD View Post
    Did you test the fuel tank vent and make sure it is allowing air in? It should open with 1psi, basically you should be able to blow into it. If the vent gets clogged the tank will presurize and starve your ski of fuel.
    Falling flat means you're starved for fuel. Will the RPM pick up if you hit the choke? If so, that means you're not getting enough fuel.

The tank forms a vacuum not pressure build-up, but yes you're right that is a possible problem. Don't splash a bunch, but loosen the gas cap and try to run the ski as you've described. If it falls flat then you may be able to rule out the vent. Another possibility is the fuel lines have deteriorated and are collapsing or the filters in your carbs are full of junk.

Have the fuel lines been replaced? If they are original, replace them with good quality 1/4" fuel tubing. Then, tear into the carbs and clean the filters in each one.

I picked the ski up from the dealership last night. I checked the compression myself last night befor I pulled the heads and it was putting out 125 lbs. I am thinking that if the dealership cant check the compression then they may have not cleanded the carb parts when they replaced all of the gaskets. The Ski does have all new fuel lines. I have to order new O-rings for the heads so I will go ahead and order a new vent for fuel tank also.

My ski is a 2000slh and is doing the same thing. I put new plugs in it and it runs great for the first run, second run it takes off then cuts back, let off the gas it clears up and then does it again. I am thinking it has something to do with the spark or is gas related. I am stumped and really need some help with this.

Quote Originally Posted by carolinaz71 View Post
    My ski is a 2000slh and is doing the same thing. I put new plugs in it and it runs great for the first run, second run it takes off then cuts back, let off the gas it clears up and then does it again. I am thinking it has something to do with the spark or is gas related. I am stumped and really need some help with this.
    To add, it only does this when its in the water and has a load on it. When I have it at home hooked up to the water, it does not do it at all.

That is what mine is doing I will keep you up to date if i can figure out what is the problem. But as of now I am at a loss as is the polaris dealer that was working on it.

I think mine was getting a little better when I pulled the choke althou it could have been my imagination

I guess nobody has any ideas, I am wondering if the wires are arcing, the back cylinder shocked the piss out of me the other day. I am wondering if it is loosing spark under load because of this.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by carolinaz71 View Post
    I guess nobody has any ideas, I am wondering if the wires are arcing, the back cylinder shocked the piss out of me the other day.
    I am wondering if it is loosing spark under load because of this.
    Can you detach (unscrew?) the spark plug boots from the wires and trim the wires back about 1/4 inch?
    Hmmm, someone remind me. Which engines have the plug boots that unscrew, and which plug wires snap into the boots? Coil ends, or plug ends?

Also make sure the wire surfaces and the boots are clean inside and out, and apply Nyogel type dielectric grease to the insides of the plug boots.

New spark plugs while you are at it, properly gapped.

You have checked the ignition coils and plug wires for proper ohm values - yes?
    Last edited by K447; 07-28-2008 at 12:11 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information