Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

Candlewood Lake, CT

Thinking of going Sunday. Can anyone give me a run down?

I hear speed limit is 45mph. If enforced this is a deal breaker.

Quote Originally Posted by steach View Post
    Thinking of going Sunday. Can anyone give me a run down?

I hear speed limit is 45mph. If enforced this is a deal breaker.
    for future ref...

I have rode there a lot...yes 45mph...never has been an issue as I think riding like an idiot will attract more attention than speed.

its very crowded with out of state folks (uh hum... ) on weekends.

I wont ride there Saturday or Sunday on a nice weekend, its a complete zoo and downright dangerous.

+1
    I still want to try this lake so bad...
    I have some vacation this week and next... I was supposed to go to Florida but i think that will fall through.
    is this the type of place i can go to and see the entire lake in one day? or is this a weekend thing.. despite the crowds. i'm a ferry ride from PJ then i thinks it's west on 95 till i get there.
    thanks

+1
    If you come over by the ferry let me know there are several of us that ride the Housatonic river. I have never been to Candlewood but maybe we can do it. If nothing else we can meet for Dinner and drinks.

Quote Originally Posted by giguchan View Post
    I still want to try this lake so bad...
    I have some vacation this week and next... I was supposed to go to Florida but i think that will fall through.
    is this the type of place i can go to and see the entire lake in one day? or is this a weekend thing.. despite the crowds. i'm a ferry ride from PJ then i thinks it's west on 95 till i get there.
    thanks
    you dont take 95 to Candlewood from thje PJ ferry.
    You would take 8-25 and take 25(which turns into a 2 lane local) to rte 84
    take 84 to Exit 7 (rte 7) get off exit 11 take a left and go straight till you see the lake.
    Im not sure where there is a public launch

I have yet to go there and would be in for a weekend ride.
    I hear in the summer it is LOADED with boats on weekends,but
    not so much now most likely.
    There is a bar on the river you can pull up to and have lunch and drinks
    called down the hatch,

The lake is dead now...I was out on it a few days ago.

When its quiet you can see the whole lake in a few hours fast or a day just messing around.. and its a fun place to ride at these times. Nobody bothers you, no real speed limit enforcement, etc...I will be out there this week trying to get 10 hours on a new ski..

The bar/restaurant Down the Hatch is fun, its close to Lattins cove launch, as you come out of the cove bear right and head towards Echo by Marina (also gas pump) Bar is on the left.

There are public launches in Danbury and New Fairfield. Danbury is the closest..about 10mins off I-84

Candlewood Lake (Lattins Cove) Boat Launch
    Danbury, CT
    Location: Lattins Cove. I-84 to Route 7 north; take Federal Road exit; north on Candlewood Lake Road, left onto Nabby Road. After 0.75 miles, take left onto Forty Acres Road, launch is on the right. Trailered. Open year round. 100 parking spaces. Paved access, concrete slab ramp. Chemical toilet in season. No disability access.

+1

Smile

Beer, Otto, Winni,
    thanks for the replies... I kind of like being on water that is somewhat abuzz with other boaters... It's too bad that i waited the last part of the season to go there....Who know's it might be for the best.
    I think that these next 2 weeks will be the only chance for me to go. is the Hoosatonic a FRESH body of water or is it brackish? I think that CW is totally fresh... which is something that i want to try... my poor ski has to live in salt water... i think it needs a rest... actually from what i've heard it's good to run a ski in fresh water specially towards the last part of the season.. I might make this a ritual every year to make the last ride of the season before winterizing in totally fresh water...
    Thanks for the directions... I will keep all of you informed i will be doing this either this week or next or the weekend's do you all have a preference? i'll shoot over on the ferry and if i dont see the entire lake i'll find a hotel and stay over.

Beer, Otto, Winni,
    thanks for the replies... I kind of like being on water that is somewhat abuzz with other boaters... It's too bad that i waited the last part of the season to go there....Who know's it might be for the best.
    I think that these next 2 weeks will be the only chance for me to go. is the Hoosatonic a FRESH body of water or is it brackish? I think that CW is totally fresh... which is something that i want to try... my poor ski has to live in salt water... i think it needs a rest... actually from what i've heard it's good to run a ski in fresh water specially towards the last part of the season.. I might make this a ritual every year to make the last ride of the season before winterizing in totally fresh water...
    Thanks for the directions... I will keep all of you informed i will be doing this either this week or next or the weekend's do you all have a preference? i'll shoot over on the ferry and if i dont see the entire lake i'll find a hotel and stay over.
    Candlewood is fresh,The housy is brakish.The public ramp n Milford for the housy is definetly more salt.
    It might be fun riding with many boaters,But I heard it is too crazy on the lake at times and kinda of dangerous it so busy.

+1
    Otto,
    Thanks for the reply... i guess Candlewood is for me then. anyone gonna be round this or next week? weekend? being on a busy body of water keeps you on your toes..
    Thanks for the reply

Otto,
    Thanks for the reply... i guess Candlewood is for me then. anyone gonna be round this or next week? weekend? being on a busy body of water keeps you on your toes..
    Thanks for the reply
    Ill keep an eye on the weather,I would rather Sat than Sun but either day.
    I got to check with the wife and make sure if she has plans my mom doesnt,Have to drop the kid off somewhere.

Like I posted though,If the weather is good and the Long Island sound is
    real calm(which doesnt happen often) I will probably ride there.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information