99xl1200 cooling system

I just finished my rebuild. Maybe I'm being paranoid but I think something is wrong with the flow within the cooling system. And, I looked in the service manual - there is "nothing" illustrating the cooling system hose routing.

Basically, I started the engine and turned on the hose 1/4 to 1/2 way. Three things I'm noticing: (1) the motor is getting hot. (2) water is pouring out my exhaust pipe. (3) the flush kit outlet stays filled to the brim with water-even after being shut off for 1/2 hour.

I need someone to tell me (1) if I have a problem (2) a diagram of the cooling hoses (3) how to troubleshoot the cooling system to verify proper flow.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Brad Bealing
    Hanover, PA

United States
    Water coming from the flush hose has two ways to go into the motor and out the pump strainer. Water enters the motor from the pump (which your flush hose is tee'd into) then goes in the exhaust manifold, feeds through the cylinders then out the head via the two hoses on top. Then goes back in your exhaust manifold jacket and eventualy through the water box. there also a few bleed hoses which piss out the front of the ski. try starting your ski again turning the hose up a bit and check and see if water starts coming out the pissers in the front sides of the ski.

Thread Information