Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Utopia 205 Neutral Adjustment?

So basedon what i see on the fiche there is no adjustment of the reverse buckets to keep this thing from surging forward upon start in neutral?

i did a search and read the other posts,,,couldnt find anything where people discussed adjusting the buckets.

the boats in the water (not mine) and wanted to find out how to adjust it prior to pulling it form the lake.

adjsutment behind the coping on the linkage (at cockpit) or at the rear on the pump????

all input would be appreciated!!

thx

Nothin' better than Doo'in it! BigDaddyRXP's Avatar
    +1
    Not sure with the 205... but my 185 has to be adjusted at the throttle control handle. It's a pain in the ass to do, and the boat has to be in the water to get it perfect!

Quote Originally Posted by bigdaddyRXP View Post
    Not sure with the 205... but my 185 has to be adjusted at the throttle control handle. It's a pain in the ass to do, and the boat has to be in the water to get it perfect!
    what year 185?

thx

+1

My Utopia also suges ahead when starting in neutral. Kind of a pain if you don't know it is going to do it. I have tried to adjust the gates on the back of the boat via the cable and it seemed to help a little. It would be nice if I didn't have to hold the control lever ahead to hit the neutral switch. I have tried to adjust this and didn't have much luck. Guess I will have to keep playing to get it correct.

You'll prolly need to determine where it needs to be to not thrust forward or backward, mark the spot on the reverse bucket while in the water, then try to set it for that spot when on the trailer.

First time out and started the engines it took me by surprised and panicked. The boat being new the throttle was still really stiff and couldn't get it into reverse. The boat was heading slowly forward to the concrete ramp. Had visions of messing up the whole bottom of the boat. Finally I somehow got it into reverse and got out of there. Now we hand walk the boat as far back on the dock before starting. I also usually now only start one engine which helps but on the other its harder to steer.

Find center on your steering and mark it. When you start up make sure the wheel is in the marked center position.

Remember the forward/Neutral/Reverse detentes are nothing more than just that. You can use the control in between the detentes to control docking and speed.

A friction control would of been a better design eliminating the neutral detent.

+1
    You can always dissable the neutral start switch... allowing you to start the engine while slightly in reverse!

How?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information