Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Just bought a pair of 92 Poliaris SL650's Might have made a mistake!!!

Hello everyone,
    I'm pretty old to forums but new to this one, I have repeatedly been told this is the best place to get info on PWC's! You come highly recommended so I'm hoping you can help. I've been riding Sea Doo's for year and just recently acquired these Polaris's. I have several questions so I'm just going to start posting and hope for the best!! So, here goes.

I just recently (last week) ended up with a pair of 92 SL650's. A friend owed me money, and knew I was looking for sea doo's so he paid me with these that he had owned for a few years. I trust him so I took them as payment mostly sight unseen. I got them home, did a quick once over and then we ran them to the lake to check them out. Here's what I found.

Unit 1 I'll call it black, Black runs good but doesn't have a lot of power, I ran a compression test and came back between 100 and 110 on all cylinders. It doesn't smoke, but the plugs were a few years old so I replaced them. It runs good, just a little doggish, it takes a good 7 to 10 seconds to get on plane, once there its fine, but only tops out at about 30 or so. When I got it home, I decided to dig deeper and found that the top of the fuel tank (inlet area towards the back) had been broken off and that someone had glassed it all back together, of course, the glass didn't hold and so with a bit of a tug I can pull the whole assembly out and see that the top of the tank is broken at the threads. After doing some digging it looks like Polaris recommends replacing that tank type with an upgraded unit. when I found this I decided to take a quick look at Unit 2, I'll call it pink. Sure enough, Pink has the same glass, it however is holding and I couldn't tell, though I assume, that the break is in about the same place. These ski's aren't bad, but I'm not sure if they're nice enough to dump $400 t0 $600 a peice in to fix the fuel tanks, I'd like to do some other things to them, but I don't want this to get too out of hand. Is there a better fix then this or a cheaper alternative? Any advice you guys have would be greatly appreciated!!!

Next: More problems with pink. When we took them to the lake, Pink had much more power then black and ran good for a while, however, after about 5 - 10 minutes, you could be cruising along at 3/4 throttle and it will fall on its face and die. It would start right back up if choked, but it smokes some and seems to be starving for fuel after that. Also, someone has put an inline fuel filter on it. I'm guessing all the jury rigging in the fuel system is causing this problem and I'd really like to add the 3 output carb I've been reading about to see if it will improve performance on both units. Thoughts on all this?? Again any help or recommendations would be greatly appreciated!!!

Last question,
    Who makes the best or most detailed service manual for these, I haven't really looked yet, but I'm betting I'm gonna need one with all the specs and some good diagrams!

Hey, thanks in advance for all your help!

GOD Bless
    Tom

+1
    Hi Tom Welcome to the Hulk...

First off you need to go thru the fuel system and clean/rebuild the carbs. On the fuel tank gig is the nut broken or the tank itself?? Oh we love pics...

Factory manual can be found here.....

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=38870

Welcome to GreenHulk Tom!

First, these Polaris Sls can be very reliable if all the upgrades are done and they are taken care of.

Now that being said you will probably have to spend a couple of hundred per ski and your time to bring them up to par.

Both units had a problem with the fuel pick-up cracking, you can look around here or e-bay for somone parting out a newer style ski.

Again both units will need fuel system upgrades to prevent them from burning a cylinder. This involves installing an upgraded fuel pump, and changing all the fuel lines, and cleaning all the carbs. If you don't do this, you can be sure that you WILL burn a piston. This might cost around $50 per machine.

The machine which you said had a compression of 100psi is getting near the end of its life. You will soon need to service the top end of this engine and bring it back up to 120psi+.

I personally own two 1994 units, and I bought them in bad shape for a good deal. I invested some money and time, and now they haven't let me down (knock on wood).

One last thing that is nice about these skis is that they don;t burn alot of fuel compared to the newer ones, and they are much smaller and fun to drive imo.

Pics included

Guys,
    First, thanks for the welcome and the good info, here are the pics of the tanks.

1st pic is of pink, tank is still sealed, but I'd like to fix it right!

2nd and 3rd pics are of black, it looks like the tank itself is ok and the problem is with the thread.

You thoughts???

Also,
    I like the idea of upgrading the fuel systems on these, but what parts would I need to do so, sorry to sound so ignorant, just want to do this right. Also, If I decide to rebuild these, approximately what am I looking at cost wise to do both a top end and a complete rebuild? I have Polaris 4wlrs and I can get 2 or 3 top ends out of one before I have to rebuild the crank.

Thanks again,

Tom
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PICT0093.JPG 
Views:	56 
Size:	1.69 MB 
ID:	85170   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PICT0097.JPG 
Views:	52 
Size:	1.42 MB 
ID:	85171   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PICT0098.JPG 
Views:	45 
Size:	1.48 MB 
ID:	85172  

For "rebuilding" the fuel system you would need the following for each machine:

- New tripple output fuel pump - $30
    - New fuel line about 18' -$25
    - New fuel selector(or open it up replace the o-rings and clean it out). Use a BRP one from a 1996 Seadoo XP, they are the same - $25 ish
    - New fuel filter $3
    - New intank pick-up screens x2 - $6

You'll need to pull the carbs off the engine and either get them rebuilt, or do it yourself. Price depends on what new parts you need for them.

You might be able to reglass the fuel pick-up to the tank. I would rough-up the surface of the tank with sand paper or somthing like that. Maybe you can just get some gas safe epoxy and bond it back together. The only problem I have is that you can't check the condition of the in tank fuel lines and strainers. Could be very dangerous if they are in bad shape. I wouldn't put a new engine in without knowing their condition.

Top end kit can be found here or on e-bay. You'll need to pull the jugs off and measure them before you order the kit to see what size you'll need. Best case you just rehone the cylinders and maybe replace the rings. Not sure how long that will extend your engine's life.

+1
    i have two updated retaining nuts for 50.00 shipped . aslong as your gas tank isn't broke .

785 lugs,
    Does the retaining nut include both parts top and bottem? It appears as though the tan part of the tank is intact, but the black treaded area is broken. It appears to be a separate piece though I haven't tried to remove it yet.

Thanks,
    Tom

After a little work, I managed to get the glass off of the tank assembly and took a few pics, see below. Is this fixable??

Thanks,
    Tom
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PICT0099.JPG 
Views:	42 
Size:	1.95 MB 
ID:	85178   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PICT0100.JPG 
Views:	38 
Size:	1.88 MB 
ID:	85179  

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    A whole tank is only $20, plus shipping.
    I think the 650 and 750 tanks are the same

A metal retaining cap is another $15.
    The metal version is better than the original plastic rings.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by tdowell View Post
    After a little work, I managed to get the glass off of the tank assembly and took a few pics, see below. Is this fixable??

Thanks,
    Tom
    nope

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information