Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

HELP! fly wheel removal

As some of you may know, I am replacing the bendix in my SL 780, got the tank out, and the cover off, now my question is, which way do I turn the fly wheel bolt? left or right? I know sometimes it backwards, any help would be great... also, there as a little water that leaked out when taking the cover off, fly wheel is in great shape, no rust and no chipped teeth.

The flywheel nut is standard thread. You will need a puller and a lot of persuasion if it's never been off the crank before. Also, you don't want water getting in that area because is houses the stator and if that gets wet....

+1
    You took the whole tank out? Anyway, counter clock-wise loosens the nut.
    You should have NO water in there, be sure to seal it back up.

ok, I got the bolt out, and I got the puller on there... how do i get it off if the everytime I try and turn it, the drive shaft moves? whats a good way to get it off completely and not have the drive shaft move?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Have you checked the flywheel removal procedure notes in the Service Manual?

Put some nylon rope into the spark plug hole on the MAG cylinder, enough to prevent the piston from reach TDC, but keep the rope out of the ports.

Or you can create or buy a tool that braces against the flywheel bolts, preventing it from turning.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by ph2ocraft View Post
    You took the whole tank out?
    Not hard at all Al. Plus gives you a ton of working room.

Brad, put a good amount of rope (some guys use bungee cords which prob work really well) through the spark plug hole on the MAG cyl. Thjat will keep the piston from moving.

NOTE: you want the rope to bunch up inside the head, you DO NOT want it going into the intake or exh port and causing the piston to "teeter" inside the cyl when torquing on the nut.

You'll also need to do the rope trick when tightening the flywheel nut.

I have read the manual it offers no real hope, I went to autozone and got the flywheel removal tool....everytime we use the impact, the damn side bolts in the tool keep popping out, we tighten it down good enough.... its like its a super flywheel..lol anybody got some tips or tricks at getting this thing off? there is like water and oil mixed inside of this thing... hopefully the stator isnt bad... what would be a sure tell sign the stator is bad just by looking at it?

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Are you sure you have the correct bolts installed? Don't bottom them out either, otherwise you can damage the stator behind it.

It's not unusual to need hardened bolts to get the flywheel off.

Ohm test the stator wires to see if it's all good. Specs are in the tech section under Fuji electrical.

yes, correct bolts were used... and I didnt bottom them, put them in just enough so I can use the impact too lossen the center bolt.. its not coming loose... its just popping a bolt out on the side...its like it stuck... I had to use a pry bar to stick between the flywheel and bendix to prevent it from spiing when using the impact... theres got to be a easierway to get this off...

+1
    You need grade 10 meteric bolts and the rope in the MAG cylinder. That way the crank doesnt spin, hence no need for pry bar on the bendics. Use the impace to get the center bolt as tight as possible, then use a propane tourch to heat the flywheel, not the crank shaft. 5-10 minutes and BANG off comes the fly wheel. Just remember to not drop the torch when the flywheel pops.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information