Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Marley Creek, MD

heat gun trick to restore plastic

I've searched like crazy to really find info on this, and didn't find any.

I bought me a new heat gun at home depot just to see if it would work. Wow what a difference! g/f thought i painted it all.

But when i got to the soft plastic/rubber pieces, i basically had to melt it; then wipe away the discolored bit. Talking about the handlebar cover and the front bumper here. It was mostly dark purple/black, looked kinda like mold or dark dirt... not just faded like the hard plastic parts. Is this normal for this process? Either way it looks tons better, though kinda goofy as the melting/wiping gave it a totally different texture.

Also, can a heat gun ignite gasoline? (I'm sure it can, but i mean is it anymore likely than a cell phone starting gas on fire?) Kinda started wondering half way through making the gas cap BLUE again.

Oh and take it easy when removing stickers with the heat gun... i blistered the engine cover real bad in a spot. But that needed to be repainted anyway due to dock damages.

+1
    Lets see some pics! I have a heat gun and have tried it I want to see your out come! I found some plastic paint that has lasted two years at this point! Lee

Marley Creek, MD
    K, lemme find the camera.... sheeeesh. lol

Marley Creek, MD
    I probably shouldn't post this cuz my ski is so dirty nasty and gross, but oh well. Will look good sooooome day. Looks much better in person than these pics make it look. If it turns out fairly good i'll post more pics later, but i doubt i will, ya get the idear from these pics.

Definitely not done. Got dark and had other stuff to do, gonna finish tomorrow. All of my plastics are VERY dirty, actually he whole ski is! Gonna have to rub lots of it out with acetone or something ( i couldn't find acetone at home depot).

Use to all look like the pale bit up in the fake Louvers, i thought the gas cap was suppose to be white.:

This one shows really well where the heat was and wasn't. The bit right around the mirror is how it all use to look.

This is the bar cover. Looks really bad in pic, not as bad in person. See the nasty purple/black ish! Yuck. Any part that looks blue was heated to melting and wiped off. Clearly not done yet.

In this one you can see the dash cover(?) or w/ever it's called turned out fairly well, use to look purplish/colorless.

cheatin' piston popper addicted's Avatar
    +1
    the hard plastics will clean up very well. Use armor all tire shine stuff on the soft plastics

Marley Creek, MD
    OH and i forgot to mention the right side mirror was cleaned (with ajax with bleach; it's what i had handy) and heated (though not done with that either). The left one wasn't done.

edit: the soft pieces turned out BAD, i don't recommend trying it on the soft pieces! At $111 for a new one, i'm gonna just leave it off completely. edit: i saw a post of some guy bashing his head open without the cover... so i painted it and slapped it back on.
    Last edited by 95yami701; 07-27-2008 at 07:57 PM.

I have posted this in many spots here http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...tic+heat+trick

and on riva...check search ..

the black stuff is crud baked into the plastic, a lite wire brush may help remove it ,try bleach too (it basiclly a dead mold deposit) ..
    get 'the works' toilet bowl cleaner for the 'glass( it works pretty good and it cheaper than boat suff) .... any boat hull cleaner will remove the black but may hurt the softer plastics (test it)

remember with heated plastic, if you wipe, it will change the surface texture.... for scratches in plastic, shave lightly against the scratch with a safety blade then heat .. this will bring the scratch more to the same level and not be so noticeable...

pebble surface can be attained with a needle or pick, lightly heat,prick, then let it cool (do not wipe) ...

you can also sand the plastic with 320 grit then step up thru to 1500 then heat .. it will be shiney and smooth... colored or black bumper urathane paint will spray a nice color on everything that wont come back(imo, sema is the best )

You need to keep working at it ,your mirror is looking good,cleaned then heated it will look new (imo, yellow is the worst to bring back, stains show thru easily,blue /purple next, then red/ black ..they show best as they give the biggest difference when done) looks good so far

Its possible your gun may not get hot enough, mine puts out lots of heat (ryoby,it will start fire's) and i usually do this a 2nd time) .. then apply black magic, not armoral as it builds up and yellows

DO NOT USE A GUN NEAR GAS, IT WILL BLOW UP !!! IMPORTANT!!!!!!!

take the cap and ring off....
    Last edited by w/rpm500; 08-02-2008 at 12:01 PM.

get some adhesive promoter from napa or a similar parts store. spray the parts, and then paint with sem die. it's flexible, and lasts for years.

it looks better without the handle cover.

+1
    the heat gun has to be hot enogh to melt the plastics some of the heat guns you get from home are very weak and are more like over grown hair driers.

the one i use is between 120-1100 degrees. im gona do a whole atv today if you want ill take some pictures

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information