1996 waveunner 3 wont stay started

Hi, last week i was at the lake of the ozarks with my 1996 waveunner and hit a big wave and it quit once it hit the ground. It wouldnt start so we had to get pulled back by our other jetski. About 5 hours later we tried it again. It started but died within 30 seconds. The next day we rode it all the way to the boat launch with no problems except it would only go about 15-20 mph. Yesterday i took it out on the river and it started once and died after 15 seconds and would not start again. I'm not very mechanical with jetski engines so any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!

+1
    I was leaning towards a loose neg. battery connection on either the engine side or the battery side. The real pros should be here shortly with a good answer

haha my dad wont let me ride the other jetski until we figure out whats wrong with the 96.

Marley Creek, MD
    Need more info.

Compression #'s, new plugs recently? carbs ever rebuilt? Any changes made before the problem? Post pics of your plugs maybe? History of ski; electrical issues, fuel issues? General condition of ski? Cought and sputter before dying, or just die abruptly? Runs only 20mph but is it revving up and just not going anywhere or is it bogging out badly or is it sputtering, or surging? etc?

You hit the ground or hit the water? Did ski submerge or get loads of water in it?
    Last edited by 95yami701; 07-27-2008 at 07:59 PM.

i dont know the compression numbers yet, just got new plugs at beggining of summer, carbs never rebuilt, no changes made before, no issues ever, ok condition(we wash and add oil all the time), it just dies abruptly, it was running normal and sounded fine and it just died suddenly and wouldnt start when we brought it out 2 days ago, (problem started 1 week ago), hit the water, it didnt get any water in it and it didnt get submerged

+1
    it didnt start as in it cranks over and wont start or it just doesnt do squat when u hit the button

it cranks over but wont start...sometimes itll fire but it quits right away

+1
    have you checked any of the electrical idk if your ski has it but on the starter (under exhaust manifold) the neg. battery wire is on one of the starter bolts and that could be loose and not getting connection. That has been known to happen alot. It could cause that issue... I would also look at teh fuel system.

Thread Information