RnD Grate on 900STX

Well DG...I installed the RnD on the STX...made not one bit of difference...I was really surprised ...I did runs before and after...gas tank about 95% full, oil totally topped off...hitting 56mph at about 6800rpms...put the new grate on-man it was hard to get those bolts out-they had been green loctited on...hit 55-56 at same with the new grate...no noticeable ride difference that I could really feel...that was weird...you could have put it on while I wa asleep and I wouldn't have noticed any diff riding the next day.
    So..., for those out there, if you read the description for the RnD grate...they make great things-no doubt there- but the "improvements" listed are for ocean riding/rough chop-def not worth $100 + for that mod for me on the lake- now my STX does have the sleeper kit on it, when I asked Group K about the grates here's what they told me:
    Phillip,
    Sorry for the delayed response. Generally these grates are overkill on the STX 900 unless you routinely do high speed riding in "very" rough water conditions.... The Worx would be preferable.

Unfortunately I got this email the same day the RnD grate arrived.
    I installed the stereo on this one and the GTX, I will try to post up some pics this weekend, amp in glove boxes, speakers mounted through hull in top of footwells, looks great, sounds great.

STX900 owners who ride in the ocean or rough chop...RnD grate for sale
    Last edited by PhilnEdee; 07-27-2008 at 10:45 AM.

+1
    R&D's loader grates are really only made to see gains in choppy conditions, to keep the pump "hooked up". you should of asked here before spending your hard earned cash. i learned a few years back the same way. i bought it for my gp800, with all the hype and actually lost 2 mph on gps on flat water and low and mid seemed a bit slower. in the ocean was a different story though. if u were expecting to see a gain in top end, it aint gonna happen , the stock or modded stock grate are the best. u ride in a lake, so ur best bet is to sell it on ebay or GH, get some money back and mod the stock one.

Quote Originally Posted by inchadeboca View Post
    R&D's loader grates are really only made to see gains in choppy conditions, to keep the pump "hooked up". you should of asked here before spending your hard earned cash. i learned a few years back the same way. i bought it for my gp800, with all the hype and actually lost 2 mph on gps on flat water and low and mid seemed a bit slower. in the ocean was a different story though. if u were expecting to see a gain in top end, it aint gonna happen , the stock or modded stock grate are the best. u ride in a lake, so ur best bet is to sell it on ebay or GH, get some money back and mod the stock one.

Amen to that, I think I too actually lost a MPH or 2 on top, but the hole shot is what was so sad...like I was starting out in 3rd gear. Live and learn?

We see simmilar results on the ultra 150. Doesnt really hurt bottom or middle but I see 1.3 mph slower on top compared to a mod stock.

+1
    does your stock grate have 3 bars? if so, cut out the center bar and machine or dremel everything nice and smooth.

It does have 3 bars...cut out the mid bar? A good mod?

Quote Originally Posted by btldigger View Post
    We see simmilar results on the ultra 150. Doesnt really hurt bottom or middle but I see 1.3 mph slower on top compared to a mod stock.

The bottom is what got me...just would not take off at all...wife's GTX would jump ahead 20 feet before it seemed like I got going...put the stocker back on and boom...side by side on the GO.

Now, in defense of the RnD...we rode a long way Sunday in some rough stuff...and the stock grate was "rougher" on the ride vs. the RnD as far as porpousing/cavitation in the heavy chop...but I can live with that vs. slow start and slower top end.

+1
    your a rec rider, i would slap the stock one back on. the stock grate is just a basic weed stainer. cut the middle bar, make everything nice and smooth, no sharp edges where the material was removed and your done.

I "slapped the stock one back on" instantly...OK, I am working on a ground problem on wife's GTX as sson as that is resolved, I'll machine the stock grate mid bar out and see what we got.
    Thanks.

Thread Information