Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New to the game....

This is a great site! .... Long story short...I recently came across 2 GSXs with a tandem trailer. One was a 96 with 56 hours on it and the other is a 97 with 49 hours on it. The owner said he has not used these since 2004 and wanted to get rid of them since the lake cabin he had was for sale. After checking the compression and checking for any codes I gave him 3k for everything. Both ran well once I got them into the water no hesitation or stumble which is surprising considering the length of time they were in storage.
    Now here is my question...The fuel gauge does not work so I was going to use the proceedure on this site to fix them. I cannot manipulate the fuel baffle tube out of either one. I take it the tank needs to come out to do this. How do you get the tank out without taking out the engine???? Any help would greatly appreciated!

Nah...have you loosened the top clamp really good...you should be able to "work" them out wo taking out the tank.

Man I have tried everything. The tube slides out no problem but is does not clear the tank because there is not enough clearance in the hull to get the last 1/4 inch out no matter how I angle the tank. I looked at the steering linkage and even if I removed that I cannot get the tube to pull forward enough to clear the tank. Man things are tight in there.
    MaxDoc

getting waterlogged hotrod_sxty8's Avatar
    take the tank straps loose and slide it foreward to access the sending unit. you might have to loosen the oil tank too.

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Don't try the method listed on the top for fixing the sending unit, as they didn't fail this way in 96 & 97. The magnet came out of the float or the whole float assembly is in the bottom of your tank from the cap on the bottom falling off.

Move the tank until you can gain clearance to get the sendng unit out.

Good Luck!
    Last edited by 96XPSS; 07-28-2008 at 04:03 PM.

+1
    welcome to the forum

+1
    The GS hulls are a PITA to remove the fuel sending units. You need to loosen the oil and gas tank straps so you can slide the tank forward and backward. Next remove the four bolts that hold the steering column on to the hull and lay it to one side. No need to disconnect wires and cables there should be enough slack. Now you can move the tank so the fuel sending unit will come up through the steering column hole. If you want to remove the tank from the hull then the engine has to come out. Been there done that. On my GSI the fuel sending float was not floating anymore and you can buy just the float.

UGH....

Well Mr. Canuk did what you suggested and sure enough Mr. 96XPSS is correct. The damn end cap came off the fuel sending unit. The float and magnet are somewhere in the tank. There is some fuel in it that needs to be drained before I go fishing... CRAP looks like an engine pull is in my future if I can't fish the parts out....

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    You'll be able to fish them out. Go buy one of those three metal prong squeeze pickup tools from a parts store. It should be long enough to get to the bottom and grip the float and cap.

Glad you found it!

BTW...to prevent this from happening again don't trailer it with less than 3/8 tank of fuel. The float will not slam the cap, knocking it off...
    Last edited by 96XPSS; 07-28-2008 at 03:41 PM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 96XPSS View Post
    You'll be able to fish them out. Go buy one of those three metal prong squeeze pickup tools from a parts store. It should be long enough to get to the bottom and grip the float and cap.

Glad you found it!

BTW...to prevent this from happening again don't trailer it with less than 3/8 tank of fuel. The float will not slam the cap, knocking it off...
    I was going to suggest the three pronged tool thing as well. Didn't know about the trailering thing, makes sense though.

If you can't fish them out I would get a complete sender unit and save the tank removal for a winter project. If I remember correctly it's not a hard job to remove the tank just very time consuming. Even with the engine out it's still a struggle to get the tank out.

Good Luck

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information