Genesis oil pump pressure

Hmm I think I may have a problem. I just replaced my stator / magneto and noticed as I first started the engine that there was an air bubble in the oil line feeding the oil pump. I shut it down fast. (I had a great deal of fogging oil in the engine so even though it ran for a minute I don't think I hurt anything.) I primed the oil pump by opening the bleed screw on top of the pump and let the oil flow through it by gravity. I then pulled the oil line feeding the mag end cylinder and spun the engine without the lanyard (no fuel). Did not get even a dribble. Ok, so I put more fogging oil in and started the engine without the line on. Now I get a dribble. I was expecting a steady flow. What am I doing wrong?

+1
    The oill delivery is barely noticable.
    Another way to help bleed the system a little quicker is to release the cable at the oil pump arm and allow the pump to go to full oil.

Does this mean the oil delivery is barely noticable while the engine is running or just when cranking with the lanyard out? I did open the pump to full oil. This is what was required to get it to at least start dribbling.

+1
    Full delivery is barely noticable. Even if you're idleing, if the arm is to full oil, that's all she is going to deliver. At idle with the arm attached and adjusted properly, you'd probably have to convert yourself to snail speed in order capture the oil use.

Would it seem reasonable to say I am being overly cautious? I have not had this thing running properly since mid June. It now starts and seems to run fine. I just don't want to toast an engine because it is oil starved.

+1
    Did you put the plastic drive back in ?
    I would put some oil down the intakes .Spread it evenly about 50 mls each one .Start the ski with the oil lever right up and rev it for about 2-3 seconds .The oil should slowly pulse out of the tube you have off .Then put the line back on .If there is no visible air in the system and you have a clean in line filter .Thunderbirds are Go .
    I take it it is injected ?

Bernie
    Last edited by Bernie; 07-27-2008 at 06:48 PM. Reason: more info

Thread Information