Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1200DI Oil Leak!!!

Took my ski out for the 1st run on the new motor and i am glad i added the 50:1 oil to the gas tank!!! After about 30 minutes of light riding , nothing over 3000 rpm, i opend the back hatch and took out the liner and noticed what looked like oil , i pulled the seat and verified that all the lines were connected....they were. I put the seat back on, and headed for the dock.

I cant seem to locate the source of the leak, the check valve on top of the tank looked wet....there was oil everywhare possibly slung by the coupler. I am going to replace all the lines this week, and try to remove the tank and verify that it is not cracked.

There was a lot of oil in the hull, more than a quart

FYI....The oil level was 110% full, i thought it might be the sending unit but it is fairly tight.

Anyone know of any issues with the oil pump leaking that i might need to know. I am pretty certain that it was not gas, as there was no odor.

On the bright side, it ran pretty well....It did seem to be loaded up after sittin at an idle....could be because of the pre mix in the gas. It seemed to stumble a but...possible TPS??

Any ideas?

+1
    Don't worry about any adjustment until the oil ratio is back to normal. The additional oil you've added to the system is probably messing with the injectors as they are not designed to run oil through them.

Do you have the clamps installed on th lines?
    I see the lines leak at the filters all the time, it might be a good idea to change the filter while you're at it.

There are clamps on the lines, When i changed the filter....the plastic hose from the tank to the filter looks bad, the clamp left severe indentations in the hose, should have replaced it.

Would an exhaust leak also give me very dark oily water??

+1
    Yeppers, the exhaust will leave a black oily residue.

+1
    If it's a DI, how is pre-mixed fuel injected directly into the combustion chambers helping to lubricate the bottom end?

Check your oil tank supply fitting.

d

Thats a good question about the lubricaton of the bottom end......i never even thought of that. I know older seadoos basically had an oil bath of sorts. Bernie will know.

I spend the afternoon going over the oil injeciton system....and i cant seem to find where the leak could have come from.

Is it possible it was forced out the sending unit or the check valve? I had the resivor full...with oil in the filler neck as well.

Given the amout of oil that was lost and the amout that is actually pumped i am baffled as to where this oil camefrom. If the tank had a hole in it, it sould leak out under normal pressure as well as the filter and th supply hose until the point it becomes higher than the tank outlet....

I dont know what to think.

Any source for the supply hose you can think of?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    I had an oil leak in one of my 2002 Virage TXi.

When I went to pick it up from the selling dealer this spring, there was pools of oil in the bottom of the hull.

The dealer tech scrambled to clean it out (he should have checked it over the day before I got there, but didn't ), and they thought a clamp at the oil tank nipple was not tight enough. They shifted and tightened the oil filter and nipple clamps.

Get it home (24 hours later, including a full day on the road), and more oil is sitting in the bottom of the hull.

Clean that up, wipe everything down, Simple Green and hot water to get the oily film off everything. Two days later, more oil pooling.

I thought it might be the oil pump, or the oil lines. I tied short lengths of cotton fabric around each clamp, and watched which ones got wet with oil. In my case, only the cotton wrapped right below the oil tank nipple got oily. It took a full day of waiting to see which cotton 'flags' were getting wet with oil.

I pulled the oil tank (which was a bit of a battle, I needed to undo the Reverse switch bracket, and shift a lot of hoses and cables out of the way), and wrestle it out, then emptied and cleaned everything.
    Note: The gas tank has a bump on it that fits into a recess on the oil tank. You need to get the oil tank to clear that bump before it will slide out. See photo.

All I could see that looked wrong was some ridges of along the welded seam in the tank, and along the nipple where the oil filter hose attaches. Cleaned off all plastic seam ridges, made sure the nipple surface was nice and smooth.

I examined the entire oil tank carefully, did not see any other problems. Re-installed the tank (much easier than getting it out).

Installed a new section of clear hose, and made sure the hose clamps were round, not misshapen.

Filled it up with oil (actually slightly overfilled, up the filler hose). No more oil pooling. Watched (tied cotton strips around) the oil tank air vent and level sender seal for seepage, looked good.
    Note: I did have to silicone seal the threaded fitting for the air vent, as it had partially stripped threads in the tank hole.

It took a LOT of cleaning and scrubbing to get all the 2-stroke oil out of the hull. It hides in every crevice, and even Simple Green doesn't fully cut into it. Eventually I got it all - I got pretty good at getting my entire hand and arm under the intake manifold to scrub the hull ribs.

While I was doing all this oil leak work, I noticed the water cooling line feeding the stator cover was kinked. That small hose needed to be trimmed and re-positioned, along with one of the larger hoses at the tee..

Here are some photos from my leaking oil tank exercise;
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P5149930.JPG 
Views:	83 
Size:	2.19 MB 
ID:	85321   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P5149931.JPG 
Views:	78 
Size:	2.05 MB 
ID:	85322   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P5149932.JPG 
Views:	66 
Size:	2.17 MB 
ID:	85323   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P5149934.JPG 
Views:	65 
Size:	2.30 MB 
ID:	85324   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P5149935.JPG 
Views:	70 
Size:	2.15 MB 
ID:	85325   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P5149938.JPG 
Views:	72 
Size:	2.18 MB 
ID:	85326  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P5240095.JPG 
Views:	83 
Size:	2.42 MB 
ID:	85327   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P5240099.JPG 
Views:	86 
Size:	2.43 MB 
ID:	85328  

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ph2ocraft View Post
    I see the lines leak at the filters all the time, it might be a good idea to change the filter while you're at it.
    Quote Originally Posted by ryand View Post
    the plastic hose from the tank to the filter looks bad, the clamp left severe indentations in the hose, should have replaced it.
    Quote Originally Posted by crazya
    Check your oil tank supply fitting.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post

Installed a new section of clear hose, and made sure the hose clamps were round, not misshapen.

Filled it up with oil (actually slightly overfilled, up the filler hose). No more oil pooling. Watched (tied cotton strips around) the oil tank air vent and level sender seal for seepage, looked good.
    The answer is right here.
    Last edited by ph2ocraft; 07-27-2008 at 08:52 PM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ph2ocraft View Post
    The additional oil you've added to the system is probably messing with the injectors as they are not designed to run oil through them.
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyA View Post
    If it's a DI, how is pre-mixed fuel injected directly into the combustion chambers helping to lubricate the bottom end?

d
    Quote Originally Posted by ryand View Post
    Thats a good question about the lubricaton of the bottom end......i never even thought of that. I know older seadoos basically had an oil bath of sorts. Bernie will know.
    His point is pre-mixing the tank does you no good, plays hell with the injectors and leans the engine due to fuel being displaced with oil.

OK now i understand....i figured it would not hurt seing how i am not opening it over 1/4 throttle for the first 10 gallons.
    Should i not have done this? I know that the plugs will be toast after the break-in.

Sure smokes like hell!
    Last edited by ryand; 07-27-2008 at 09:50 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information