SLT 700 impeller drive shaft

I have a 97 SLT 700, and very recently I ran into a problem with the impeller shaft. During a ride, my rpms suddenly increased, and I lost all drive. I removed the impeller assembly, and it's very obvious that the splined end on the drive shaft has worn considerably. What's more, the "socket" end on the impeller has also been damaged. Before I attempt to repair I'm wondering if this might be an indication of a bigger problem, or if this is the sole problem.

I'm thinking I need to shop for a new shaft and impeller; wondering if someone might know of a source?

Also, I'm interested in an opinion on welding the shaft to the impeller. Both parts are damaged, so I'm guessing I have nothing to lose? If it works, great, otherwise, I guess I'm back exactly where I started; shopping for an entire assembly.

Is it possible for a machinist to rebuild the spline on the impleller and shaft?

Thanks for reading. Any advice or direction would be appreciated.

Jim

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    Good used shafts run about $50.00,stock used props about $50 to 75.00.The alinement of the motor to the pump could be out of wack. How many hours does the ski have on it? I sure wouldn't weld weld them together,for one it'll throw off the balance. Check with John Zigler(a member here)He sells good used parts at fair prices)
    Last edited by Keddano; 07-27-2008 at 08:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bradleyj00 View Post
    I have a 97 SLT 700, and very recently I ran into a problem with the impeller shaft. During a ride, my rpms suddenly increased, and I lost all drive. I removed the impeller assembly, and it's very obvious that the splined end on the drive shaft has worn considerably. What's more, the "socket" end on the impeller has also been damaged. Before I attempt to repair I'm wondering if this might be an indication of a bigger problem, or if this is the sole problem.

I'm thinking I need to shop for a new shaft and impeller; wondering if someone might know of a source?

Also, I'm interested in an opinion on welding the shaft to the impeller. Both parts are damaged, so I'm guessing I have nothing to lose? If it works, great, otherwise, I guess I'm back exactly where I started; shopping for an entire assembly.

Is it possible for a machinist to rebuild the spline on the impleller and shaft?

Thanks for reading. Any advice or direction would be appreciated.

Jim
    You need to inspect the entire driveline as well as the engine alignment.

There is a reason that the splines are both bad on the stator and the impellor.Misalignment normally wears one spline more then the other,but not always.
    They are not a tight fit like you would think either. There is a tolerance for movement built into the shafts and impellors to begin with
    Check the engine coupler, and pump stator bearings. Make sure there is no bad bearings in the stator and the impellor turns within the specs shown in the Polaris Factory manual.

Dont even bother thinking about trying to weld them, all you will do is ruin everything else !

Good luck

I have New Driveshafts available in stock. They have been superceded to a newer stronger driveshaft from Polaris

prochamp

SLT700 drive shaft

By inspecting the driveline, and engine alignment, do you mean a general visual inspection, or are there specific tools or processes to check this?

Thanks

+1
    You can rent the alignment tool/set-up from beerdart. Worth EVERY penny to make sure you get it right.

+1
    I have one shaft left from a SL700, if it will work. I may have a impeller for it. Are the 700 impellers fourbladed?

Quote Originally Posted by rlharrison60 View Post
    I have one shaft left from a SL700, if it will work. I may have a impeller for it. Are the 700 impellers fourbladed?
    My current impeller has 3 blades. Note the linked images. Please let me know if you're interested in selling the shaft, and impeller if you have one.
    Thanks,
    Jim

http://www.tarahanstown.com/impeller.jpg
    http://www.tarahanstown.com/shaft.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by rlharrison60 View Post
    The SLT 700 uses a different impellor and driveshaft then the SL700

I have a good SLT700 driveshaft if you still need one.

Thread Information