95 Raider 12 volt solenoid

I finally got my carbs rebuilt (after a month) and went to start it. It wouldn't turn, felt stuck so I pulled the plugs. It then turned a few times then nothing. It didn't even seem juice was getting to the starter.

I checked the switch (and cleaned it) I checked the coonector and it worked and I also checked the starter which was getting no juice.

I pulled the box and the starter relay isn't closing and allowing juice to the starter. I applied power to the starter wire and it turned over.

So my relay is bad.

Is this common? Or a sign of something else going on? I had trouble the last few times prior to going out where I had to pull the plugs after it had been sitting more then a few days to get it to start, but then it ran fine until the last outing when it only would run at low speeds and then finally kicked in and ran fine intil I idled a while and then it would run slow and kick in again..... Which is why I am rebuild the carbs. (which seemed clean and why I am worried something bigger is going on).

Any input please let me know. Also where is the best place to get a new relay.

+1
    did you apply 12v to the switch side of the relay? this will tell you if it works or not. might be your problem is not the relay.

Yeah, I tried applying power to the brown wire (power side of the relay). It didn't work.

Does anyone know where's a good place (inexpensive) to pick up another?

+1
    Most of the Yamaha relays I have worked with are the same 1100,1200 1200R etc. look on Ebay

Thread Information