+1

Fire Extinguisher in an Octane?

Hi,

well, I had to do some "Jedi Mind Tricks" to get past the USCG when they stopped me down in Fort Lauderdale this past spring. They wanted to see my fire extinguisher, and I didn't have one in the ski!

It's funny how having my 14 yr old son wave a 12 gauge flare gun around takes the officer's mind off of the fire extinguisher.... "Hey Jr, show him your flare gun!".....

So anyways, I did a little research. According to Randy, the extinguisher used to be strapped across the electrical box, and would cause the cover of the box to warp. My box cover was a little warped, probably for this reason.

This pic is the best mounting location I have come up with so far. I used a zip tie to hold the clamp positively closed; I was worried about it breaking loose at speed. I'm sure I can snap it loose if necessary.

Michael
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN4946.JPG 
Views:	32 
Size:	470.9 KB 
ID:	85318   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN4945.JPG 
Views:	39 
Size:	452.6 KB 
ID:	85319  

+1
    Glad you didn't get the ticket.
    I guess you could attach a stronger plate atop the cover and then use one of them small extinguishers to mount in it?
    Although, yours looks pretty nice where it is.

2000 pro 785 (son's) 1998 pro 785 (dads) old guy in mich's Avatar
    got the same unit in my whaler. hasnt come loose in 8 years (used the same bracket). granted my boat doesnt take the pounding your octane does but like i said its never come loose. zip ties can be very strong, dont think you could break it easily if you ever needed it. how bought pop riviting a quick conect buckle/strap in addition the bracket to the ski to give it some extra hold.
    also when ive gotten cked coasties and dnr wanted me to hand them the fire ext. to ck date and charge. if its nor "readily available/accessable" youll still get a ticket.
    by the way i'm jealious! been wanting a stand up and octane is my first choice!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by delagem View Post
    ...I used a zip tie to hold the clamp positively closed;...I'm sure I can snap it loose if necessary...
    I suggest wrapping a wide Velcro strap under the mounting bracket and right around the extinguisher, tightly covering the plastic clamp and release toggle.

To access the extinguisher, rip open the Velcro, then open the plastic clamp as per normal. Even better if the Velcro strap is a bright color.

Velcro can have good holding power when wrapped around something (so the plastic release handle on th extinguisher should not be able to flip open), and there is no question about being able to undo it in an emergency, or for a safety check.

You can buy Velcro straps in wide widths. I am thinking a 2-3 inch wide strap would provide plenty of grip, and be sure to hold the plastic toggle in place.

You can create a pull tab by folding the end over, and sewing it to create a finger loop. Use thread meant for marine use, like the stuff for sail makers and Bimini top repair, so it doesn't rot. A sail repair shop could probably do the sewing for you in about five minutes.

I am going to use something similar to hold the anchors and rope bundles in place inside my sit down PWC hulls, to keep things from shifting around.

My MSX 140 came with a Velcro strap to hold the extinguisher in place in a Styrofoam pocket. Works OK, but the strap is black, so it is hard to see the end to pull it off, and the stock strap is so long the ends wrapped right under the extinguisher, where it was hard to reach.

+1
    If any of my PWC are on fire, I'm swimming the hell away from it.
    I just couldn't imagine opening the hood or lifting the seat and allowing more oxygen to feed the fire..and then trying to reach for an extinguisher through a cloud of smoke??
    Call me crazy but that's why I pay for insurance.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by ph2ocraft View Post
    If any of my PWC are on fire, I'm swimming the hell away from it...
    Agreed, but the law says the extiguisher needs to be there.

I think it is more likely to be used helping another boater fight HIS fire, not your own. And I am OK with that.

2000 pro 785 (son's) 1998 pro 785 (dads) old guy in mich's Avatar
    ditto, but as judge dred said "the law is the law!"

+1
    thanks!
    I've been wondering how to do this.

Law is the law. BUT, I agree if my ski is on fire i ain't going for the extinguisher, im going for the shore. But if someone else's boat or ski is on fire and they are still on board trying to fight it I might get close enough to give them a ride outta there, but i ain't hanging around long enough to get my extinguisher out and hand it to them. Aside, I comply completely with the local laws, so I always have a laugh when they ask for my fire extinguisher and i point out that I'm floating in one.

Thread Information