Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

785 pro not charging

Hey Guys, I picked up a 98 785 this spring, finally got to put some time on it and the battery goes dead after riding it for a while (few hours depending on the charge). I unhooked the battery and it stays running. Checked the red purple wire (I think this is the charging wire, I don't have a manual) and there's no voltage, no voltage to the yellow wire(s) either. Sooo...pull the stator?, or is there something else I could check first? Another question. When I crank it over exhaust comes out the 3 pipe outlets in the hull, you can hear it, water comes out after,but exhaust first. Is this normal? My 97 doesn't do it, water just comes out. Thanks, Corey

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Did the ski have a MSD Total loss system installed?

Pressure test your pipes, sounds like you have a cracked pipe.

100 MILES OF HEAVEN AND I AM SMACK IN THE MIDDLE KEYZBUM's Avatar
    +1
    WELCOME TO THE FORUM
    here have a man. www.mattmans.com/polaris/upload
    do a test with an ohm meter and see what you get from the stator..
    i have a 97pro and i just pulled my balls(your laugh her) out of the jetworks valve ,and now i get the smoke then water ,THATS new,,,
    I belive the 97 and 98 have different water routing up front on the pipes
    take a look in the tech section or do a search for water routing
    have fun and enjoy
    mattman

No MSD. Ski is totally stock as far as what I can see and what I was told, pretty much mint condition...a total opposite from my 97 that's had a hard life. It may be a cracked pipe, I'll check, but I doubt it as all 3 cooling holes do the same thing,smoke then water...(maybe I got no balls either ) , then it drains the pipes when I put it on the lift...I think it's normal, it's just that my 97 doesn't do that. I thought it was probably a water routing change just thought I'd check.

Thanks for the manual, I'll do the resistance check as soon as I get a chance and go from there. I'm guessing that's the problem though...augh, ever pull a stator in the hull? I was looking and I think it may be possible with the gas tank out. I already have 1 785 motor on the workbench, I don't want to see 2 side by side.
    Thanks Again, Corey

+1
    I don't want to see 2 side by side
    here now you dont need to see it
    it can be done in the ski,,but will not be easy,,but hell what on a 785 is
    mattman
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF2562.JPG 
Views:	217 
Size:	471.1 KB 
ID:	85378  

Yeah...tripple pipes suck to work on....oh well they sure are fun though. If they only made a ski with the handling of a pro and the power and reliability of a modded (heck even stock) rxp I'd be all over it. Anyways thanks for the pic....now I know what to expect. If the flwheel would come off without heat I think it'd be easier to do in hull, but like you say it's never easy...especially in my case, I seem to have that murphy thing goin...if it can be a pita it will be a pita.
    Corey

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by CumminsAholic View Post
    ...' 98 785
    ...the battery goes dead after riding it for a while (few hours depending on the charge). I unhooked the battery and it stays running.
    Not a good idea!
    The charging system is only a 1/2 wave rectifier, and depends on the battery to smooth out the voltage. Without the battery, the DC voltage can bounce all over the map.

Checked the red purple wire (I think this is the charging wire, I don't have a manual) and there's no voltage, no voltage to the yellow wire(s) either.
    With the battery connected, put a meter across the battery posts. Right after starting, voltage should jump up to around 14 volts, and stay around there as RPM rise. If it just sits around 12 volts, the charging system is not working.
    If it rises way above 14 volts as RPM rise, something is wrong with the regulator.

Sooo...pull the stator?, or is there something else I could check first?...
    The charging system only has two components (plus the battery).

The stator charging coil is connected to the Red/Purple and Yellow wires. Red/Purple is directly connected to 12 volt battery positive (though the main circuit breaker).

The Yellow wire connects to the LR voltage regulator, which is also connected to Red/Purple (to monitor battery charging voltage), and to ground.

Inside the LR is a rectifier diode to ground (on the Yellow wire), and a regulator circuit that monitors the battery voltage, and adjusts the current flow through the Yellow wire and diode to ground, thereby controlling the effective DC charging voltage.

If the stator charging coil ohms are correct (0.6 ohms for the Pro 785, I think), and the LR regulator module is properly grounded and connected, then a lack of 14 volt charging voltage probably means you need a new regulator.

The Orange wire from the LR regulator provides 12 volt power only when the engine is rotating. It senses AC on the Yellow wire, and switches on the Orange to Red/Purple connection inside the LR. This powers the bilge pump through a 2 Amp fuse.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    The charging system only has two components (plus the battery).

The stator charging coil is connected to the Red/Purple and Yellow wires. Red/Purple is directly connected to 12 volt battery positive (though the main circuit breaker).

The Yellow wire connects to the LR voltage regulator, which is also connected to Red/Purple (to monitor battery charging voltage), and to ground.

Inside the LR is a rectifier diode to ground (on the Yellow wire), and a regulator circuit that monitors the battery voltage, and adjusts the current flow through the Yellow wire and diode to ground, thereby controlling the effective DC charging voltage.

If the stator charging coil ohms are correct (0.6 ohms for the Pro 785, I think), and the LR regulator module is properly grounded and connected, then a lack of 14 volt charging voltage probably means you need a new regulator.

The Orange wire from the LR regulator provides 12 volt power only when the engine is rotating. It senses AC on the Yellow wire, and switches on the Orange to Red/Purple connection inside the LR. This powers the bilge pump through a 2 Amp fuse.
    WELL SAID DR.
    wish my brain could type out all that stuff w/out messing it up
    nicely done
    mattman

Thanks guys. I'll get the meter out and test it tomorrow night (If I get home when it's still light out.) I'll report the results....man I hope it's a the regulator.
    Corey

Well I checked it tonite and it was .6 ohms from the red purple to the yellow, so I think it's the regulator (hopefully). I'll get one and try that then post the results. Thanks for the help,
    Corey

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information