Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

My maiden voyage left me with a hull full of water. (96 XP)

Sorry for all the questions guys. I think I have 2 or 3 threads going on the 1st two pages here . Problem is I'm just not much of a mechanic.

Well I took my "new" 96 XP (as well as my 1st ski ever) out for it's 1st real day out and it ran like a bat out of hell. I ran it around for about 30 min then docked her for my girlfriend to try. Well it didn't want to start, and then when it did it was bogging something horrible for her. I took the seat off and noticed that the hull was full of water. The water line was coming up to just about a half inch under the battery terminals.

Now as far as the hull is concerned I have noticed two scratches where figerglass can be seen. They are not very big or deep though. I am planning on patching them (any tips on what or where to buy for this appreciated), but don't think thats the issue? Let me know if I'm wrong on that.

So where might all this water be coming from, and how can I find out? I don't have the hose attachment (where can I get one?), but will be getting one. Is running this on the hose enough to possibly get it to start filling up so I can track down the prob? Thanks for any tips guys. God knows I appreciate them since I can't afford shop rates to get this fixed
    Last edited by JJLee138; 07-30-2008 at 08:41 AM.

+1
    Water could be coming in from a number of places.Check all your cooling hoses, make sure they are on and the clamps are tight.Check your drive shaft seal..There could be a good possiblilty that this is your problem.Check your sponsons make sure they are tight..One way to check is to put the ski on a trailer and fill the hull up with water to just above the driveshaft..make sure you close the drain plugs and watch for were the water comes out of the ski..

Check all your hoses...Make sure clamps are tight and not rusted out..Also check your drain plug too..

I wish it was just my drain pulg lol. I was able to find this diagram of the cooling system (without it they are all just hoses to me lol). I will go through the system and see what I can find. As I mentioned above, is simply putting this on the hose enough to see where it's leaking, or do I have to pay the $30 dock fee at my lake to put it in the water for 5 min

+1
    NO....Put your ski on the trailer..Back flushing the system may show you were a loose or unconected hose may be..BUT you may need to FILL THE HULL with water to find out were the leak may be..I would be willing to say your drive shaft seal is toast....

Quote Originally Posted by Snoman View Post
    NO....Put your ski on the trailer..Back flushing the system may show you were a loose or unconected hose may be..BUT you may need to FILL THE HULL with water to find out were the leak may be..I would be willing to say your drive shaft seal is toast....
    Sorry bro, now I now how the people at work feel when I see their eyes glass over and they silently nod as I ramble on about computer stuff. So fill my hull just over the drive shaft, then you lose me. What is backflushing? Is that simply just putting it on the hose? I follow you was far as just watching where the water is coming out though.

I know where the drive shaft is I believe, but what end is the boot on, and can you access it from inside the hull easily? Going through the service manual atm trying to find it. Thanks for taking the time to help a newb man.
    Last edited by JJLee138; 07-28-2008 at 09:13 AM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by JJLee138 View Post
    Sorry bro, now I now how the people at work feel when I see their eyes glass over and they silently nod as I ramble on about computer stuff.

Nope No sweat..LOL

So fill my hull just over the drive shaft, then you lose me.

What your gonna do is put your ski on the trailer,Then close the drain plugs and fill the inside of the hull with water till it covers the driveshaft and seal..NOW look under and around your ski for a trail of water to be coming out..IF water can get in it will come out..

What is backflushing? Is that simply just putting it on the hose?

YES!!! Make sure you start the ski before putting the water to it.You dont want to hydrolock your motor

I follow you was far as just watching where the water is coming out though.

I know where the drive shaft is I believe, but what end is the boot on,

Toward the back end.Youll have to pull the back cover off to see it it is a black accordian boot..Your driveshaft seal is located in that boot.

and can you access it from inside the hull easily?

Yes pull the back cover..

Going through the service manual atm trying to find it.

Nuff said! Thanks a ton man. I will get to work on this asap and report back. I will have to track down a hose attachment before I can do anything but visualy inspect everything. I have a buddy that may be coming up to spend the weekend with us that is a pretty damn good car mechanic so if I'm still floundering by then he may be able to school me a lil. Thanks again!

+1
    No Problem..You have Any questions feel free to ask...

Prohibido usuario
    +1
    Sno, that wont work if it is a hose leak. Probably the drive shaft but if he has a cooling line with a hole in it that is pumping water into the hull then this test will yield nothing.

JJLee, where do you live that you have to pay $30 to put a ski into the lake? Never ever want to go there.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information