2001 conti weight?

Hey.. I'm trying to check for proper tongue weight, I know my ski weights (dry and full). What does a continental 2001 double place weigh?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Tongue weight is always an approximation. Estimate your trailer weight (400-500lbs?). Then aim for about 7-10% of the total (PWC + trailer + tongue box + box contents) as your tongue weight.

Some go as high as 14% on the tongue, but it often is not critical, as long as it tows stable, with no swaying or weird handling effects, especially under emergency conditions.

As long as you can do full on emergency stops, and quick lane changes, without the trailer trying to take over the driving from you, it should be OK.

Since the PWC fuel tanks are forward of the trailer axle (I presume), I would set it all up with the fuel tanks near empty, and then know that the tongue weight percentage will be a little higher when the tanks are full.

Thanks... yeah... I'm going to do ~10% when full, and I've setup tongue weight before, I just didn't know the weight of this conti trailer.

It's rare that I tow very far so I know it's not a big deal...

The way I'm thinking now, it's going to be like ~2400lbs total (with full fuel/oil). That would give me 240lb tongue weight.

I like to tip the trailer back so if it rains the water doesn't stay in the foot wells (even with the covers on, a little water will collect). 240lbs is a bit much to be lifting to put some wood or something under. Any ideas what to do here?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by BlitzK View Post
    ... I like to tip the trailer back so if it rains the water doesn't stay in the foot wells (even with the covers on, a little water will collect).
    240lbs is a bit much to be lifting to put some wood or something under. Any ideas what to do here?
    I loosen the bow winch about three turns (in my case), make sure they are latched, and then slide each PWC back on the trailer bunks. Liquid Rollers spray on the bunks make this easier.

For me, this lightens the tongue enough that I can lift it easily. If I move the machines back another inch or two on the bunks (before I lift), then when I lift it up, it counterbalances and will stay with the tongue up. I put a saw horse underneath the tongue to keep it up.

When I push the tongue down, it will then stay on the ground (but lightly).

Just be sure sure to winch them forward again before you go towing!

ahhh of course!

I use Liquid rollers on all of my trailers, so I can slide them with just a push!

Thanks.

Thread Information