Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    New Hampshire Physically, Maine/Canada Mentally!

Angry Sand in impeller

Had the FX-SHO ski out yesterday and on the way back to a launch that the locals advised me to use (should have used the one I planned on), in an area I was unfamiliar with, I idled (not no wake mode) over 2 sand bars (got screwed trying to get back at low tide - got given major bogus info by some locals about depths in area). It resulted in me hearing sand go into the impeller for 2 seconds. I thought it was over 2 feet deep, apparantly not! So each time it happened (3 times total I think) I shut the motor off and drifted into deeper water then restarted. I then walked the ski to the launch ( 300 yards) and got the F outta there. When I got the the house, the impeller had a lot sand in it. I washed it all out with the hose. Question: There should be no damage right?, as it was not rocks, just sand at an Idle rate for a few seconds all totalled. I am pissed because I am so anal about taking care of her in shallow areas and then riding her like she is supposed to be out in the open ocean. I figure if the machine would get ruined at all by my short sand stints yesterday, then the thing would fall apart under hammering it on the open water.?.? right?

Please advise.

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by mlbfan86 View Post
    Had the FX-SHO ski out yesterday and on the way back to a launch that the locals advised me to use (should have used the one I planned on), in an area I was unfamiliar with, I idled (not no wake mode) over 2 sand bars (got screwed trying to get back at low tide - got given major bogus info by some locals about depths in area). It resulted in me hearing sand go into the impeller for 2 seconds. I thought it was over 2 feet deep, apparantly not! So each time it happened (3 times total I think) I shut the motor off and drifted into deeper water then restarted. I then walked the ski to the launch ( 300 yards) and got the F outta there. When I got the the house, the impeller had a lot sand in it. I washed it all out with the hose. Question: There should be no damage right?, as it was not rocks, just sand at an Idle rate for a few seconds all totalled. I am pissed because I am so anal about taking care of her in shallow areas and then riding her like she is supposed to be out in the open ocean. I figure if the machine would get ruined at all by my short sand stints yesterday, then the thing would fall apart under hammering it on the open water.?.? right?

Please advise.
    Don't worry about it sand will not cause any damage to impeller, Unless you hit rocks or an oyster bar.

+1
    ummm im not sure what the sand is like where you's come from but, i destroyed a prop and prop housing (oem wear ring) on my 03 gpr when i went trhough shallows all it did was cavitate after the sand went through it... i hope yours is alright

Quote Originally Posted by JIM'S PERFORMANCE View Post
    Don't worry about it sand will not cause any damage to impeller, Unless you hit rocks or an oyster bar.

New Hampshire Physically, Maine/Canada Mentally!
    Please let me know what to think about this scoring damage. I am a newbie, so I don't know what to think - whether it's "yull be fine" "that is bad" "that is nothing" yadda yadda - anything to calm me or to alarm me or to guide me if need be is appreciated.

+1
    I'd run it..

I run a LOT of shallow water in the bay and have run props and rings a LOT worse than that.. From what I can see your clearance looks fine and as long as it's not doing any major cavitating I'd let it be
    Doug

It's not the destination, it's the journey!! Rip'nTear SHO's Avatar
    ahhhhh....ur fine......prop and wear ring look fine.....u just brightened em a little by wet-sanding em.......ahhhh, the power of positive thinking!!
    Damn thing will prolly run faster now.......

+1
    A great man once told me on these boards: "Ride More Worry Less"..
    Anyone know who that was?
    Doug

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    A great man once told me on these boards: "Ride More Worry Less"..
    Anyone know who that was?
    Doug
    It was the one that currently is rebuilding a broken ski !

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by BlitzK View Post
    It was the one that currently is rebuilding a broken ski !
    NOPE!!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    NOPE!!
    Mark Clemmons

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information