Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

help with no fire 01 genesis i

hey i was wondering if anyone had any idea what might cause no fire to plugs. fuse ok, batt good, running fine just shut down like kill switch was pulled but it was still in place and tight. any way to test stator?just got ski and do not have a manual yet. prior owner had just put in new stator. is there something that could be killing them?

classact, welcome to the forum. Do a search on "no start Genesis" and you will see lots of posts. Read and learn. There is also a domestic troubleshooting section which will tell you how to test the stator...

no spark

thanks bbcaprice for the reply. i did as you said and searched "no start Genesis" and looked at all. still dont see what i need. does anyone have any other ideas. still no fire , engine cranks but does not start,i cant find a manual for 2001 fuel injection genesis. also stator was replaced about 10 hrs ago so if bad what might cause?

+1
    Disconnect throttle position sensor (unplug).It is on the back end of the throttle bodies.Try starting it then .Are you getting a clicking noise from the injectors while cranking the engine.You need to get a multimeter to do some tests .What is your battery voltage while cranking?Must have minimun of 10 v+ while cranking.

Bernie

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by classact2731 View Post
    ...I cant find a manual for 2001 fuel injection Genesis.

...also stator was replaced about 10 hrs ago so if bad what might cause?
    Welcome to the Hulk!

Download the 2002 Polaris Service Manual from here. Some electrical items may be located differently, but the functional aspects are similar.

Unplug the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) connector (located near the rear end of the throttle body). Does it start now?

Does the fuel pump pressurize when you start cranking?
    You should feel the hoses change when the fuel pump starts (20+PSI fuel pressure).

Does the MFI 'wake up" from sleep mode (sleep occurs after 5 minutes of no activity) when you start cranking?

The Service manual outlines the stator coil test, using an ohm-meter.

I think there are two circuit breakers, and possibly more than one fuse in the system - check the manual.
    Electrical schematic diagram is on page 357.

BTW, while you are diagnosing the no-start condition, be sure to keep the battery well charged. It MUST deliver at least 10.5 volts during cranking, and really should be over 11.0 volts (measured at the battery with a multi-meter, not the MFI display).

Disconnect the battery charger when actually trying to start the engine. And don't over-charge the battery. Even a 2 amp charge rate is plenty, just be sure your charger is smart enough to stop when the battery is 'full'.

spark problem

well thanks for all the ideas. after checking all i think it is the new stator. any ideas what would cause a stator to go bad in 10 hrs of run time and where i might find one.
    thanks scott

+1
    well thanks for all the ideas. after checking all i think it is the new stator.
    any ideas what would cause a stator to go bad in 10 hrs of run time
    and where I might find one.
    thanks scott
    What made you conclude it was the stator?

Not saying it isn't, but curious what your investigation revealed.

Was the replacement stator a brand new one, or a used unit pulled from another engine? What part number was it?

findings on stator

I did ohms test and cranking test and failed on both. It might not be stator but with bad test results must start there. I am a little worried that last owner just put one in. Is somthing else the cause of bad stators? we will see. I got one on way should be here thur. will see what happens and let all know. Scott

+1
    ...I am a little worried that last owner just put one in.
    Is something else the cause of bad stators?...
    When you take the old stator out, look it over very carefully, to see if the failure cause is apparent.

Abraded wiring, perhaps?

If you see signs of electrical over-current in the stator (burned windings), then perhaps something in the electrical system is shorting, and causing heavy current to flow through the stator coil(s).

Did multiple coils fail the ohm test, or just one coil?

+1
    What is your verified fuel pressure?
    How many volts do you have at the injectors while cranking? Should be around 20-22 and when it runs you should see roughly 45 volts.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information