Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

TJ's XPdi needs your help, please!

2003 xpdi with about 170 hours on it. Always flushed garaged and generally well taken care of.
    Iíve always thought there was a battery drain somewhere since if I didnít start it within a month or two the battery would go dead after only being about a year old. Iíve had the thingy up under the nose in the very front replaced thinking that was it years ago. Didnít seem to change things much. But I could be wrong. Iíve always used gel cel deka batteries, lasting me no more than 2 years ever.I would use the ski a couple times every few months since I had a couch to use also.
    A week ago I bought a new Wal Mart special pwc battery, since I was planning on selling it or trading it in. The ski started right up in my driveway, no problems as usual. Killed it after about 30 seconds and started up the other one. I then went back to the xpdi and put the key on the DESS post and saw no sign of life anywhere, I was going to check the gas gauge. Nothing, no noises that I could here. The battery was reading 13 volts, I checked with a meter. Nothing on the gaugeís indicated that there was power anywhere. Pulled the F5, 25amp, Battery fuse and it was popped. Replaced it and it popped without installing the DESS key, I think. Iíll check for sure on that later.
    My question is????? Who needs and anchor??????? LOL, Any thoughts?????? Put in 4 fuses and all 4 popped!!!!!!!!! All of the other fuses are fine...

Master of the Dooniverse
    Lots of guys like those Walmart batteries, but i think they are junk. i had one explode in my face, have pics ot prove it too.

The DEKA and such are excellent batteries and will last a long time and give great cranking performance, but they *have* to be unhooked when the ski is not in use. they seem to survive alot better when the high to low discharging swing isn't as large. i never let mine get below 11.5V for a prolonged period. the are on battery tender in parallel all winter.

Update, the fuse only pops when the DESS key is placed on the post. Itís an instant pop! Now more, the bilge pump cycles every 18 seconds without the key on the post. There is NO water in the hull, it is absolutely dry. This is when I repace the battery fuse and do not insert the DESS key. Once I place the key the fuse blows and nothing works.
    Now the even more. As I placed the key on the post I heard a clicking. Found it to be the gismo with a 30 amp fuse that is screwed to the underside of the lid of the waterproof box where the solenoid is up front on the right (as your sitting on the ski). That 30 amp fuse is not popping. So I removed that fuse and put back in the 25 amp battery fuse ( new one of course)where it goes in the main fuse block and it did not pop. But the relay would click. Only when I then put the 30 amp fuse back in itís place, ( above the solenoid) the 25 amp battery fuse blew instantly. Tell you anything? Has that thingy gone bad? Iíll check seadoo online parts to confirm what it is. Looks like a ďCUT-OFF RELAYĒ 278001784
    Thanks Wayniac, we do use our year round. From time to time I do put a trickle charger on my ski's.

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    TJ, I don't know DIs circuitry. Maybe someone with knowledge on them will post what this fuse supplies voltage to.

I'm gonna try replacing the cut-off(starter) relay and see if that does the trick. Parts on order and on it's way here.

HHHHHHeeeeeeellllllllpppppp!

Ok, that didn't work! Any ideas??????? I put the new starter/cut off relay in and it did exactly the same thing. Damn good thing I bought the 25 pack of 25 amp fuses. Process of elimination, what's next? I guess I should start unplugging wire harness plugs and see what one doesn't blow the next fuse.......

+1
    Did you by chance hook up your battery backwards?

no, but god try. It actually ran fine for a few minutes, I killed it then two minutes later I tried again and nothing! no beeps, nothing, dead!

+1
    TJ, Did you try un plugging your automatic bilge pump?
    That may be blowing your fuse since it's not cycling right.
    Just a shot in the dark

I just looked at a wire diagram and it looks like there's 9 things that run off that fuse. Starter solenoid, ignition coil mag, ign. coil pto, direct injection mag and pto, fuel injection mag and pto, rave solenoid and a buzzer. Most are doubbled, I would start unplugging these one at a time starting with the starter solenoid untill you stop blowing the battery fuse.
    Last edited by Spike; 08-07-2008 at 06:45 AM. Reason: more info found

Spike, yep, did that! no difference..

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information