Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

R&D SHO pump seal kit now available

+1
    SWEET!

can someone point me in the right direction on explaining how and why this works.. I tried the search button but it didnt come up with much.

For example. i understand this seal kit is to fill up the gaps ontop of the ride plate,inbetween the plate and pump housing. but from looking at it i thought water flow went through intake grate and then directly into pumphouseing. I dont see any gaps for water to get around pump housing opening and go inbetween the houseing then over the top of the rideplate. am i missing something? or is this just a case of smoothing backwash out of the back of the pump?
    If the goal is to have the top of the rideplate non-sectioned why not just mill off the ridges and call it good to go? is it a strengh thing?
    Thanks Andreas

Do a search for 'pump plug kit' and it'll answer all of your questions.

The pump plug kit eliminates the casting voids of the pump shoe by filling them up with the rubber pieces. These voids fill with air every time the boat's on plane, and stay filled with air when you slow down again. So, when you stop, then nail the throttle, those pockets of air make their way into the pump tunnel, causing the 'slipping prop' feeling (cavitation). No voids means no air, which means greatly reduced cavitation on holeshot.

+1
    I have the pump seal kit for the OEM grate here
    http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...roducts_id=952

+1
    Does this also work on the R&D grate or is that grate different?

Never mind I went and looked it up

one kit for OEM one for Riva grate
    Last edited by OsideBill; 07-28-2008 at 09:55 PM.

+1
    Bill, R&D will be releasing the seal kit for the R&D grate soon.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by amadus98 View Post
    can someone point me in the right direction on explaining how and why this works.. I tried the search button but it didnt come up with much.

For example. i understand this seal kit is to fill up the gaps on top of the ride plate,inbetween the plate and pump housing. but from looking at it i thought water flow went through intake grate and then directly into pumphouseing. I dont see any gaps for water to get around pump housing opening and go inbetween the houseing then over the top of the rideplate. am i missing something? or is this just a case of smoothing backwash out of the back of the pump?
    If the goal is to have the top of the rideplate non-sectioned why not just mill off the ridges and call it good to go? is it a strengh thing?
    Thanks Andreas
    Very simply, The pump plug kit fills the void where air gets trapped and causes the pump to cavitate. one thing we found on the GPR platform was centering and setting the heigth of your pump shoe yielded excellent results. there was a lot of trial and error for many of the tuners until a good formula was found.

The unique part of the SHO is that the pump shoe and grate are one piece, I think care in centering and measuring height should be addressed when installing this. The importance should be focused on keeping things even in heigth and centered.

I have not seen these kits but if they are similar to the GPR and XLT kits they did require a little more than just gluing them in. The plug tended to sit higher than the shoe and required some material removal on the plug to make it flush with the shoe.

first two pics are of the plugs as they came then glued in, third pic is after they were sanded flush.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LH1300BB 143.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	85604   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LH1300BB 145.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	85605   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LH1300BB 146.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	1,015.6 KB 
ID:	85606  
    Last edited by OsideBill; 07-28-2008 at 11:42 PM.

Thanks for all the replies.......
    Andreas

It's not the destination, it's the journey!! Rip'nTear SHO's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OsideBill View Post
    Very simply, The pump plug kit fills the void where air gets trapped and causes the pump to cavitate. one thing we found on the GPR platform was centering and setting the heigth of your pump shoe yielded excellent results. there was a lot of trial and error for many of the tuners until a good formula was found.

The unique part of the SHO is that the pump shoe and grate are one piece, I think care in centering and measuring height should be addressed when installing this. The importance should be focused on keeping things even in heigth and centered.

I have not seen these kits but if they are similar to the GPR and XLT kits they did require a little more than just gluing them in. The plug tended to sit higher than the shoe and required some material removal on the plug to make it flush with the shoe.

first two pics are of the plugs as they came then glued in, third pic is after they were sanded flush.

excellent post....much thanks...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information