Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

hey guys, new msx110 owner here

hey. i just found this site after wondering through 3 other pwc forums that no one seems to visit or contribute to. after finding this one, ive been reading it all day. i have some problems with my 04 msx 110.

im completely new to pwc's. i purchased this one with 124 hours on it last october, and since may, have been taking it out almost every weekend in both fresh and salt water with really no problems at all. however, the other day, i saw cruising in salt water about 40mph and it bogged down all of a sudden. aftermarket boost gauge wouldnt read above 1-2 psi. took it to THE ONLY POLARIS MECHANIC IN JACKSONVILLE FLORIDA as far as i could find (after calling for hours to dealers and shops...no one would touch a polaris). after a few days, he tells me the main problem he saw was the spark plugs, which is what i originally thought it was (im pretty good with cars and it seemed like the same symptoms) thank god it wasnt the wastegate actuator, which i hear is also common to failure. so i tell him to go ahead and change the plugs, oil, and fuel filter.

now he is telling me the motor is knocking ( i heard it when i was flushing it the other day as well). he did a compression test on it and it read good on both cylinders, and hes gonna call me later today or tommorrow and tell me what he thinks it is.

i bought this thing for $4200 with trailor, and didnt know that these skis have little/no aftermarket service or support. am in in trouble here if im not trying to spend too much money to get this thing running? sorry for the long story, but it seems like you guys seem to know more than anyone ive talked to in months about this thing and i cant afford to get scammed! help!

thanks, and i love this site

tommy

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the hulk. Knocking could be alot of things,Anywhere from a bad rod,to problems with the pump,driveshaft.etc. After you get it back,we can walk you through testing to narrow down what it is. Did you ever hear it while running in the water? If not and only hearing it out of the water,I'd be leaning towards driveline(which is cheaper then engine work.)

yea i dont remember hearing it IN the water. only when flushing. this guy isnt good at calling me back and letting me know whats up, which i hate.

Quote Originally Posted by notanotherhonda View Post
    hey. i just found this site after wondering through 3 other pwc forums that no one seems to visit or contribute to. after finding this one, ive been reading it all day. i have some problems with my 04 msx 110.

im completely new to pwc's. i purchased this one with 124 hours on it last october, and since may, have been taking it out almost every weekend in both fresh and salt water with really no problems at all. however, the other day, i saw cruising in salt water about 40mph and it bogged down all of a sudden. aftermarket boost gauge wouldnt read above 1-2 psi. took it to THE ONLY POLARIS MECHANIC IN JACKSONVILLE FLORIDA as far as i could find (after calling for hours to dealers and shops...no one would touch a polaris). after a few days, he tells me the main problem he saw was the spark plugs, which is what i originally thought it was (im pretty good with cars and it seemed like the same symptoms) thank god it wasnt the wastegate actuator, which i hear is also common to failure. so i tell him to go ahead and change the plugs, oil, and fuel filter.

now he is telling me the motor is knocking ( i heard it when i was flushing it the other day as well). he did a compression test on it and it read good on both cylinders, and hes gonna call me later today or tommorrow and tell me what he thinks it is.

i bought this thing for $4200 with trailor, and didnt know that these skis have little/no aftermarket service or support. am in in trouble here if im not trying to spend too much money to get this thing running? sorry for the long story, but it seems like you guys seem to know more than anyone ive talked to in months about this thing and i cant afford to get scammed! help!

thanks, and i love this site

tommy
    Welcome!

Did the Polaris mechanic hook your ski up to the DigitalWrench software diagnostics? Does your dealer even have this software? When they do, and know how to use it, it really 'cuts to the chase'...!

As for the wastegate actuator, I don't know of any actual failures (there was an updated one for the MSX 150, it is probably the same ugrade for the 110)...the main issue with the turbo seems to be the wastegate itself becoming hard to move. This happened to me, and after many hours of working it back and forth (and a 50/50 mixture of Liquid Wrench and Mobil 1 0 weight oil), it is working just fine again. I oil it now before, and after, every day on the water.

Are you sure that you are running the correct engine oil? And that it isn't due for a change?

Once, again...welcome to GH!!!

i know i had enought oil in it. its in for a change right now. this guy is a retired tech that use to work at polaris, and im pretty sure he doesnt have a digital wrench. this guy is the only one on jax that would touch this thing. not even th polaris dealer works on them anymore unless i bought it from them.....?

anyways, whenever this guy decided to call me back like he said he would, ill let yall know. should i be asking him to change the oil and stuff before he goes any further, and maybe that could fix the knocking?

Quote Originally Posted by notanotherhonda View Post
    i know i had enought oil in it. its in for a change right now. this guy is a retired tech that use to work at polaris, and im pretty sure he doesnt have a digital wrench. this guy is the only one on jax that would touch this thing. not even th polaris dealer works on them anymore unless i bought it from them.....?

anyways, whenever this guy decided to call me back like he said he would, ill let yall know. should i be asking him to change the oil and stuff before he goes any further, and maybe that could fix the knocking?
    Turbo's are really hard on the oil...which is probably why Polaris tells you to change it every 25 hours. And you have no way of knowing if the previous owner was using the correct oil.

Do you have any idea when it was changed last? If this was my ski, I would be sure that the oil was changed, and refilled with the correct kind. If your mechanic has trouble finding the Polaris Pure brand, Mobil 1 has what you want, and can be found at almost any Walmart.

oil was done right before i bought it, around october, and ive put about 25 hours on it since then.

ill talk to him about the oil. he did say that he put NGK plugs in it, though in the manual it says to use champion.....

Did the oil light or symbol ever come on? Did the tech do a leak down on the unit what did he get? Joe at Polaris of Gainsville still works on these. Might be a drive but a good tech.

Quote Originally Posted by 4stroker View Post
    Did the oil light or symbol ever come on? Did the tech do a leak down on the unit what did he get? Joe at Polaris of Gainsville still works on these. Might be a drive but a good tech.

i dont remember the light ever coming on. this happened about 5 min after i put it in the water, and i was giving it its first WOT run after 5 min of warm up. i didnt notice and Check engine/oil lights

and if this guy doesnt start letting me know whats up, ill drive this thing to gainesville. i work down there alot anyways and can use company trucks to pull it

oh yea, right before i brought it in to the dock, it dies on me, twice, at idle. if that helps

ok but call joe first and let him know. Other wise if you like some time There is a great tech up in georga and I know he can fix it.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information