Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

XL1200Ltd...unstable half throttle

I recently bought a 99 XL1200Ltd and determined that this thing is unstable at partial throttle. It straightens out when I pin it but only then. I just installed R&D rideplate and intake grate to no avail. I will be installing impeller and pump seal kit but I don't think those things will help. Is this just how its gonna be? I have seen threads discussing stepping the sponsons on the GPR platform but not the XL/XLT. I really wasn't looking to spend $200 on aftermarket sponsons especially if it doesn't help.

+1
    describe unstable please. I have had both a 2000 XLL and now a 2004 XLT and they are one of the most stable skis you can get. Its almost impossible to flip these things. Aftermarket sponsons will help with turning and some with straight tracking.

If your not doing something, its hard to screw up. stlouisramsfan's Avatar
    I know the feeling... Upgrade to the updated version, the $200 ones didn't help... Might want to trim the bow down... Is it porpoising (bouncing)?

I should have elaborated...the ski at partial throttle, while on plane, rolls to the right or to the left and will remain there until I go WOT at which time it straightens up. I don't feel as though it will tip over but it is more pronounced with a passenger with the side to side crap.

Quote Originally Posted by stlouisramsfan View Post
    I know the feeling... Upgrade to the updated version, the $200 ones didn't help... Might want to trim the bow down... Is it porpoising (bouncing)?
    I only get bounce when at WFO and superman.
    Updated version of what?

+1
    ....what you are experiencing is probably a variation of "Chine Walk" .....this occurs as the sides of the craft start to exit the water and are just touching the surface lightly...then when you pin the throttle they both get out of the water and no longer touch....allowing the ski to ride on the main pad ...this gets the ski tracking straight again...On GPR's it is a very common issue straight from the factory....no real fix...just speed up a bit..

If your not doing something, its hard to screw up. stlouisramsfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by roost5o View Post
    I only get bounce when at WFO and superman.
    Updated version of what?
    There was a recall on the sponsons (now expired) but if you get the newer style it will help with handling... only like 60 bucks shipped if i remember right...

+1
    Yep chine walking is what you are talking about... its more pronounced on our larger hulls. The upgraded sponsons might help if yours were not replaced after the recall, otherwise I do think that the Riva sponsons made a difference on my 2000 XLL.

Wait till you start running some real speeds! You have to be real careful about easing off the throttle and slowly sliding back on the seat on these hulls instaed of just slamming the throttle shut and jumping back into position because the front chines will sometimes grab water and make a sharp turn. I know mine did and pitched me off at near 71 on GPS!

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow93 View Post
    Yep chine walking is what you are talking about... its more pronounced on our larger hulls. The upgraded sponsons might help if yours were not replaced after the recall, otherwise I do think that the Riva sponsons made a difference on my 2000 XLL.

Wait till you start running some real speeds! You have to be real careful about easing off the throttle and slowly sliding back on the seat on these hulls instaed of just slamming the throttle shut and jumping back into position because the front chines will sometimes grab water and make a sharp turn. I know mine did and pitched me off at near 71 on GPS!
    Yeah I know what you mean about abruptly closing the throttle! It has a friggin mind of its own!!

I don't normally ride at partial throttle (just idle and WFO) but I have to stay with our group that includes a boat. It is at this time the beast rears its ugly head!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by stlouisramsfan View Post
    There was a recall on the sponsons (now expired) but if you get the newer style it will help with handling... only like 60 bucks shipped if i remember right...

THIS is the answer ... get the new style Yamaha sponsons, makes a huge difference. It is most pronounced around 25 - 30 mph ... either get the sponsons or increase speed to 40+ mph.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information