Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

94 SL 750 Electrical draw/ short

We were ridding for the second day everything fine. About 20 minutes after the last ride I went to go back out and she was dead, bone dead, no click or nothing, the gauge would light and dim when trying to start thats it. Pulled it back in, trailered home and placed on charger with terminals still connected--tripped charger. Unhooked and charged battery overnight. Went to hook back up today and she had a nice spark so I left it set for now.

I know that electrical problems are hard to track but I was hoping that you guys had some common problem areas. Its hard to believe that it would have a short to the motor??

There was a little watter in the hull mabey 3 cups, I have it drying now under a fan.

Any ideas.

Thanks
    Last edited by tdnp; 07-28-2008 at 04:26 PM.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Open the electrical box (with battery disconnected).

Find the LR voltage regulator (small device with Yellow and Red/Purple wires going into it.

Disconnect and tape the ends of Red/Purple and Yellow wires from the LR.

Now carefully reconnect the battery. Don't short the metal case of the electrical box on the battery posts. Be sure you get the battery cable polarity correct.

If no significant spark occurs when reconnecting the battery, see if the engine will crank and start, and the MFD display looks good. Again, be sure that the open electrical box stays out of trouble, away from the drive shaft and vibrating engine.

If it all seems OK with the LR voltage regulator module disconnected, then I would say the LR regulator has failed (shorted internally).

If you still get a heavy spark when re-connecting the battery, then disconnect it, and use an ohm-meter to check the stator coils (procedure is outlined in the Service Manual).

Have a look at the 1992-1998 Polaris Factory Service manual.

Only 3 cups of water inside the hull?
    Lots of guys would love to see so little water inside after a ride.

Check that your bilge siphon tubes are positioned correctly, with the mesh ends well down in the rear corners of the hull beside the jet pump tunnel, and the plastic elbows mounted up high. Be sure the mesh ends are clean, and the little breather holes in the side of each plastic elbow is clear.

thats it

looks like that is going to take care of it. The Yellow terminal connector came loose from the board and I'm sure rattled around in there and shorted out the regulator.

Is there internal wiring to the board or can I simply move the wires to a spare terminal????

Now for the big question where is the best place to get a VR???

Thanks a million, looks like this will be another fun filled wet weekend.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by tdnp View Post
    l...The Yellow terminal connector came loose from the board and I'm sure rattled around in there and shorted out...
    Which Yellow wire?
    The one to the regulator, or the one from the stator coil, or the whole thing, with both wires attached?

If the stator coil Yellow wire got loose or shorted to ground, be sure to ohm check the stator coil for correct resistance (spec is in the Service Manual), and check that the coil is not shorted to ground (engine block). Disconect the Red/Purple stator wire (and the Yellow) from the electrical board for the ohm test.

Is there internal wiring to the board or can I simply move the wires to a spare terminal?

What happened to the normal Yellow board terminals?
    There are some connection bars on the back of the board, be careful what you connect to what.
    If you can, remount the Yellow terminal the way it was.

I think the Yellow wires only connect the MFD, the LR regulator, and the stator coil.

...where is the best place to get a LR?
    Several places, if the LR is the problem, and not a damaged stator coil.
    Babbits, Watcon, AtlanticPowerSports, and some others.
    You can ride without the LR regulator in place, just using battery power. Might be good for a few hours of fun, exact time duration is uncertain, depends on battery health.

Plan for a tow back if the engine dies (take hose clamp pliers for clamping off the cooling water inlet hose before getting towed), and re-charge the battery promptly when you get off the water.

The CDI requires at least 10.6 volts to generate spark, so stop riding before the MFD reports voltage below 11 volts.

Disconnect and tape all the LR wires (Red/Purple, Yellow, Orange), AND disconnect and tape the Red/Purple from the stator coil.

will this work on a 94 sl650 ?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by m00n1957 View Post
    will this work on a 94 sl650 ?
    Will what work?

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by tdnp View Post
    looks like that is going to take care of it. The Yellow terminal connector came loose from the board and I'm sure rattled around in there and shorted out the regulator.

Is there internal wiring to the board or can I simply move the wires to a spare terminal????

Now for the big question where is the best place to get a VR???

Thanks a million, looks like this will be another fun filled wet weekend.
    For used get ahold of John Zigler(a member here),or call Randy at Watcon or one of the places posted here.
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=12103

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Will what work?
    my 94 sl650 has a short in it, draws off battery (blue spark when you touch cable to battery). also starter won't engage. when you unhook wires that go to reset button no spark then.

K447,

Thanks for the help and the link.

I have printed the pages and will check resistance today.

I really appriciate it.

Tim

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by m00n1957 View Post
    my 94 sl650 has a short in it, draws off battery (blue spark when you touch cable to battery). also starter won't engage. when you unhook wires that go to reset button no spark then.
    Reset button is the 15 Amp circuit breaker.

Most of the information I provided would apply to the 650 as well. Disconnect the LR, see if the short is gone.

Also check for pinched or shorted wires inside and outside the electrical box.

Make sure you have the protective plastic cover over top of the battery, to prevent the electrical box casing from shorting against the battery posts.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information