Unhappy How Do I replace the plastic "fairings" on my ski???????????

Hey Guys I need some help my Gold Plastics on my ski cracked and now I want to replace them with the new ones that I bought. How Do I replace the plastic "fairings" on my ski.(Im talking about the Gold plastics at the sides below the handlebars)?

+1
    It's pretty straight forward. 2 torx bolts on lower sides. I think 2 or 3 torx screws on top on each side when you lift front storage cover up. And the 2 in back under the glovebox cover. be careful with the glovebox screws. Theyre soft and yamaha uses red loctite. I had to cut them off from behind with a dremel cutting wheel when i stripped them. I replaced with same style screws in stainless with stainless nylon insert locknuts.

Once screws are out. use a small flat screwdriver at top to pull back far enough to get fingers in close to 2 plastic retainer tabs. Pull hard til they pop. The tabs will put up a fight, but you'll win.

+1
    Since you're taking the fairings off anyway. If you look under the fairing on the drivers side you'll see the air opening to the engine. It's small. Trace out the contour with a pencil on both sides and cut them out when fairings are off.

I used the dremel cutting wheel on the straight cuts and a utility knife close to hull.

Cheap rpm's. My stock engine was pulling 7390 rpm last trip out on the pet tach.

Haha yourr the man thats sweet thanks for the extra info!!!

+1
    IMO pull the bars off and take the entire console off. Those tabs can break when your pulling them. Not saying they will break just that they can.

At minimum, your gonna be surprised how much it takes to get them to pop off of the tabs.

Greenhulk Grasshopah (DRC) HallPass's Avatar
    +1
    yeah, it is going to sound like your breaking something when your pulling them off, and make sure the area around is clear in case one of those metal tabs that has threads where the bolt screws in doesn't shoot off and into the air..

it is VERY easy to do.. literally take out the bolts, and sort of pull and tug and POP its out!

Thread Information