Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

new replacement trailer axle/install

Attachment 224778Attachment 224779I have a new venture 2008 VW1200 trailer for the GPR.
    in a past post I reported having water intrusion issues due to smaller diameter shaft area where the seal rides. That being said, I decided to just get a new replacement axle. The original axle was made in china and had metric studs (12mm), I had crossed reference the bearing part numbers and they are equivalent to 1". even the bearings didn`t sit tight enough on the spindle. looks like someone went over the spindle with a grinder to remove welding slag and went to far (cheap labor).

So I started off with a pair of pre-greased hubs, tried them on the original axle and no-go!!! they were really sloppy and that`s when I foound the spndle diameter to be f`d.

I cleaned up the new axle spindles with some oil and a scotchbrite pad to remove excess paint and some surface rust.

Bought a new axle from www.redtrailers.com #59A rated for 2K pounds, it is 1 3/4 round came with the spring perches and is cambered.
    Here`s a few pics of the axle going together.

Note* The new axle came with the axle nuts but no washers. I had in stock 2 axle nut kits with washers. unfortunately I could not really use the washers bc the cotter pin would have fit into the hole pretty tight, whereas without the washer I could correctly install the cotter key...
    have a look!...Attachment 224775Attachment 224771Attachment 224773Attachment 224777Attachment 224772Attachment 224770Attachment 224769Attachment 224776Attachment 224774
    Last edited by Pale Rider; 12-27-2010 at 02:22 PM.

nice!

By cambered, do you mean that it has a pre-engineered bend in it to accomodate leveling the tires when the trailer is loaded?

Quote Originally Posted by Bent View Post
    By cambered, do you mean that it has a pre-engineered bend in it to accomodate leveling the tires when the trailer is loaded?
    Yes sir you are correct!!!

Here are some pics of the measuring and fab work
    Last edited by Pale Rider; 12-27-2010 at 02:26 PM.

I`m going to road test, check tires for wear and heat, bearing etc, then tack weld the spring perches permanently...This axle is cambered...
    Last edited by Pale Rider; 12-27-2010 at 02:26 PM.

+1
    Andy to check your alignment get a measurement from the tongue to a fixed point on the axle both sides, It should measure equal to both.

Quote Originally Posted by OsideBill View Post
    Andy to check your alignment get a measurement from the tongue to a fixed point on the axle both sides, It should measure equal to both.
    great idea!
    as it sits, the axle is centered on the pin in the spring pak...
    will check the other way!...

Ok, getting the spring perches welded tomorrow...
    removed the axle, chucked it in the van and off to work we go...

Spring perches are welded, axle, tie plates painted and installed... ready to go!...
    Last edited by Pale Rider; 12-27-2010 at 02:28 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information