Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Tipped jetski now stalls when giving throttle

Sea Doo GS 2001
    got it used
    was running fine, then buddy spilled it, not sure if he turned it back over the right way.

Now...when I give it throttle it starts going then immediately starts to stall and does unless I let up on throttle...can only go at idle speed or real short bursts.

found some fouled plugs, replaced could get to half speed then it stalls still after half speed...stalling again immediately, I think I fouled the plugs again.

put dry gas in it and tested without filters so no clogging.
    compression is fine.

Could this be a carberator or gasket issue?

any help would be appreciated.

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Quote Originally Posted by rjh View Post
    Sea Doo GS 2001

put dry gas in it and tested without filters so no clogging.
    What exactly does this mean?

Are the spark plugs milky gray? Did you try to turn the engine over without the spark plugs in, to get the water out? Keep changing spark plugs until you get it cleared up.

Welcome!

+1
    This exact thing happened to me about 3 weeks ago right down to the "buddy " being the one who spilled it. In my case when the ski capsized my pal didn't fall far enough away to pop the lanyard off, so the ski was running upside down for about 5 seconds. After being flipped back upright (properly in this case) the ski acted just as yours does...Could only idle or do short bursts. I went ahead and pulled the carbs, cleaned them out (not bad actually), cleaned out all fuel filters (main filter and two individuals in the carbs). One of my carb's internal filters looked suspect...Anyway after the cleaning and reassembly everything works perfectly! I'm guessing the vibrations with the ski running upside down loosen'd up some garbage and re-deposited it where it shouldn't be!

Oh, I also replaced the gray Tempo brand fuel lines that feed the carbs with automotive type lines as this is highly recommended by the folks on the forums here. For my 97 XP it was only 5ft of 5/16" and 5ft of 1/4". for the fuel supply lines only. I didn't do return lines or vent lines.

Quote Originally Posted by 96XPSS View Post
    What exactly does this mean?

Are the spark plugs milky gray? Did you try to turn the engine over without the spark plugs in, to get the water out? Keep changing spark plugs until you get it cleared up.

Welcome!
    put dry gas in it and tested without filters so no clogging -

I meant that I put dry gas in for moisture in the gas. I pulled and checked the oil and gas filters for clogging or dirty, and they were ok.

Quote Originally Posted by rhislo View Post
    This exact thing happened to me about 3 weeks ago right down to the "buddy " being the one who spilled it. In my case when the ski capsized my pal didn't fall far enough away to pop the lanyard off, so the ski was running upside down for about 5 seconds. After being flipped back upright (properly in this case) the ski acted just as yours does...Could only idle or do short bursts. I went ahead and pulled the carbs, cleaned them out (not bad actually), cleaned out all fuel filters (main filter and two individuals in the carbs). One of my carb's internal filters looked suspect...Anyway after the cleaning and reassembly everything works perfectly! I'm guessing the vibrations with the ski running upside down loosen'd up some garbage and re-deposited it where it shouldn't be!

Oh, I also replaced the gray Tempo brand fuel lines that feed the carbs with automotive type lines as this is highly recommended by the folks on the forums here. For my 97 XP it was only 5ft of 5/16" and 5ft of 1/4". for the fuel supply lines only. I didn't do return lines or vent lines.
    Thank you. Sounds very possible. I'll go after the carbs and report back. Thanks for now. Will also check the plugs more. Not milky grey but black.

I found the shop manual which shows how to take out and clean the carbs. Any advice on this procedure? Thanks for help again!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by rjh View Post
    I found the shop manual which shows how to take out and clean the carbs. Any advice on this procedure? Thanks for help again!
    When you have a question try "Advanced Search" and highlight Doo 2-stroke.

look here http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=67189

I did stumble around there but to no avail, I probably nosed right past it. Anyway, thanks a bunch this is killer info.

followed advice, have carb out and found way dirty filter. waiting on parts for rebuild...I think I'll also change the fuel line, sounds like a common problem, any advice about the fuel lines would be great...will report back later after rebuild and carb back in...the dirty filter is actually a great thing to find...the smoking gun! crossing my fingers.

+1
    You must change the lines look here. http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=27314

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information