+1

Octane No Spark!

Here's a weird one that I thought I'd throw on here. I had a warped cover on my e-box, so I bought a cover from Partsland, threw it on the ski and took it to the lake yesterday.

Prepping the skis for the lake, I found the Octane wouldn't start. Hit the circuit breaker, and it immediately tripped again. Pulled the cover off, and it would start! Obviously a wire is shorting in there. Solved that, but now I had a new problem: the bilge pump is running constantly. No, I mean constantly. Even with the engine off! I remember reading about this a few years ago, on the "other" jetski site, it's a bad, old style voltage regulator. New one supposedly solves this issue. So I pulled the little fuse on the circuit board. This stops the bilge pump, I remind myself not to bury the ski, and off we go.

Umm, possibly that fuse stops the regulator from charging the battery too? Because after 2 hours of riding, I've got no spark! The Octanes are known for this, when the battery voltage gets too low, the starter will still spin the motor, but the CDI won't make a spark. My day is done. Fortunately, my 15 yr old son has the misfortune of playing "tray ballast" for the 5 mile tow home, and I pull him on the SLX....

Sure enough, this morning I swap the voltage regulator with a spare Randy sent me a few months ago, put the fuse back in, trickle charge the battery, and everything is normal again!

Michael

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Only two hours of riding, and the battery was too low to fire the CDI...

I suggest put in a new AGM type battery, and also confirm that you really do have 14 volts of charging voltage at the battery (with that new voltage regulator).

AGM batteries have a slightly higher output voltage, so it can run the CDI longer before the voltage droops too low to spark. They are also very tough, with no chance of acid spill or leakage (no vent nipple).

The bilge pump fuse only feeds the bilge pump (doesn't affect charging). I think but the short you had might have toasted the voltage regulator, which also handles the bilge pump feed (Orange wire).

With a new LR voltage regulator installed, the bilge pump should be good, and the charging voltage should be back to normal. Make sure you find and fix that short, of course.

+1
    Umm, 2 hours of riding an Octane equals about 3 min's of starter time. No idle, plus lack of coordination equals a lot of restarts. At least for me!

Ride 45sec, fall off, restart, ride one min, fall off... Drink a beer. Repeat.

Does that help any?

Michael

+1
    If you can ride an Octane for two hours you're doing better than most. LOL
    Thanks for the reminder about that pesky voltage regulator and the bilge...at least you had an easy fix.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by delagem View Post
    ...No idle, plus lack of coordination equals a lot of restarts. At least for me!

Ride 45sec, fall off, restart, ride one min, fall off... Drink a beer. Repeat.
    No idle on the Octane - Did I read somewhere that there was a fix/mod for that?

Run time on the battery - I was think of sit-down PWC, not the frequent engine re-starting of the stand-up world!

+1
    It seems a start/stop switch install so the lanyard can be used.
    Idle screw to raise the idle and all should be good??

+1
    If I get a pic of the mod Randy did for my carb, I'll post it to show how to add an idle to the stock Octane carbs. Right now mine doesn't work because I didn't add the screw and locknut yet; I'd rather ride than wrench!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by delagem View Post
    I'd rather ride than wrench!
    Wish I were near you, I'd rather wrench than ride.

Thread Information