Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    1st time owner

94 sl650 Limp Mode???

Ok if you were one of the people who helped me get this ski running again thank you very much. I got the starter on, actually my girlfriend did it while I was at work, but we got it running again. So we were all excited to get it out to the lake today and it started right up. Once were trying to leave the no wake zone she tried to accelerate and the fastest it would go was about 5-7mph. It ran fine before the starter went out on it and just wouldnt crank one day. So I am not sure if it was something electrical that was tripped while replacing the battery or not. The battery was disconnected while installing the starter so I dont think that was the problem. It has a fresh tank of fuel in it so I know its not bad fuel. We did disconnect the fuel tank to replace starter and not for sure if the fuel lines were installed properly or not. We cant seem to find any diagram of which line goes where but like I said with it all back together it starts right up and revs out nice on the trailer. But once in the water wont get over maybe 5-7mph. Fuel/water seperator was emptied. Dont know where else to go from here so any help would be much appreciated. Thanks again.

trace your fuel lines from cut-off to tank. one is reserve and other is fuel, other 2 are vents. hook reserve line to longest hose in tank.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    No limp mode on that ski.

If you unscrew the big retaining nut on the fuel sender (top of gas tank) the hoses should go as followed.

Longest hose in tank is the reserve.
    Shorter hose in tank is the main.
    Plain old hole in cap is the return
    And the check valve attached to the cap is the vent hose.

The ski maxed out at 7 MPH. What was happening?

Was it revving and going no where?

Was it bogging down and not revving up?

Was it missing at all?

Did you check the spark plugs for fouling?

Did you do a compression test?

Please give more details.....

1st time owner
    the ski acts like its governed. Its not misfiring. Plugs are new. It revs great and sounds great on the trailer but once its in the water it won't revs as high and bogs down and won't revs out. I am pretty sure the fuel lines are hooked up right but I will double check. Haven't done a compression check yet but will do tonight. I am stumped as to why it will run like a bat outta hell out of water but not in the water.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by verrettej View Post
    the ski acts like its governed. Its not misfiring. Plugs are new. It revs great and sounds great on the trailer but once its in the water it won't revs as high and bogs down and won't revs out. I am pretty sure the fuel lines are hooked up right but I will double check. Haven't done a compression check yet but will do tonight. I am stumped as to why it will run like a bat outta hell out of water but not in the water.
    No load on engine when out of water. Compression test is a MUST.

1st time owner
    Ok we did compression test and it has 110 in each we checked fuel lines and plugs still won't go over 5 to 7 mph.?????

+1
    Check the jet-pump.

1st time owner
    Ok where to begin. We did a compression test and it had 110psi on each cylinder. We traced all the fuel lines and they are all hooked up correctly. I dont know much about these things so all the help I can get before having to take it to a pro to be repaired for an outrageous price will be much appreciated. To be more thorough on describing what it does here it goes from the begining about two weeks ago. Ran great at the lake all weekend and ran faster than my boat. About 45mph. Loaded it up and came home. Next week went out and ski wouldnt even crank. Thought it was the solonoid and it ended up being the starter. We replaced the starter and it ran great and would rev up to full throttle on the trailer. Put it in the water and idles fine. When taking off it will not rev to its full capacity and will ony run maybe 5mph. Took it out of the water and again it revs to full throttle. While in the water it will not rev. It doesnt cut out or misfire. I know oil is mixing right due to the obnoxious smoke like usual while idling. Pulled it out of the water and emptied the water/fuel seperator and re-installed. Ski again would rev to full throttle on the trailer out of the water. Put it back in the water and lifted the ass end out of the water. Jet pump seems to be operating like it should. Looked inside the air cleaner and choke is working correctly, and when throttle cable is opened completely the buttefly opens fully. The carbs look great and engine looks as though it has been into before and possibly rebuilt. Again I dont know where else to begin looking or diagnosing. What about the fuel pump?? It seems as though when your trying to give it full throttle is either not getting enough fuel, or enough air. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

will it rev out in the water if you choke it?

when you run it on the hose, is the seat on or off - is this the same case when it's on the water?

1st time owner
    It will not rev out in the water even if choked. I tried messing with the choke while playing with the throttle and still no faster than 5-7mph. When I run it on the trailer I dont hook it up to the hose. I only start it long enough to rev it once then kill it. It doesnt have the fresh water adapter on it yet... And the seat has always been off while on the trailer. If I take the seat off while its in the water and the thing runs out what does that mean and how can I fix it. I am going to replace all the fuel lines tonight and see what it does tomorrow. How do I test to make sure the fuel pump didnt go bad. And why would it run great until I repllaced the starter then all these problems?? I dont know what else to do or where to begin. Is it ok to spray carb cleaner in the carbs just in case they need a good cleaning or is that not good for them?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information