Ultra 150 bad piston

I have recently bought a 99 Ultra 150. During the 1st hour of riding it quit. It was really hard to turnover and after pulling the cylnder heads, I found the #2 piston had been oil starved (shiny and rough, small pieces of the rings embedded in piston). The other 2 pistons look great....no scoring on any cylinders (even #2), nice brown color etc.

i have 2 questins:
    1) Can I get away with just changing the #2 piston and rings?
    2) If so, Can I do it without pulling the motor?

PS..I will run premix after this. Can I simply block off the lines going to the carbs and run premix? (3rd question)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by drewski View Post
    I have recently bought a 99 Ultra 150. During the 1st hour of riding it quit. It was really hard to turnover and after pulling the cylinder heads, I found the #2 piston had been oil starved (shiny and rough, small pieces of the rings embedded in piston). The other 2 pistons look great....no scoring on any cylinders (even #2), nice brown color etc.

i have 2 questions:
    1) Can I get away with just changing the #2 piston and rings? YES

2) If so, Can I do it without pulling the motor? Yes, IF you can get all of the pieces of piston out of the crank case. Pulling the engine is really no big deal once you get the engine down that far though.

PS..I will run premix after this. Can I simply block off the lines going to the carbs and run premix? (3rd question) No, you have probably noticed that your Ultra has five oil lines. Three goto the carbs like normal, the other two goto the counter balance cavities. From there, the oil gets pulled into the front and rear cylinders through check valves located in the button of the cases.

You can convert to premix however, it is a lot of work.

Thanks
    Welcome to the Green Hulk!!

I don't think the piston is broken. I think the top ring is shreaded.

I guess there may be very small particles of the ring in the bottom. How do I clean it out? If I pull the engine, Can I flush it out with solvent ?

What does your cylinder wall look like? Any grooves?

Sounds like the famous cracked oil lines got you. I would pull the motor just to make things easier. I got the motor pull down to less than 30 min Most likely you are going to need a cylinder or send your off to us chrome or millenium to get a replate or they may just do a exchange. When you get the cylinder off you will probably find it scored below the ports. The other question would be how many hours you got on the current top end. That would influence my decision whether to change 1 or do all 3. With the motor out you can turn it upside down and split the cases. That makes clean out much easier. Be sure to oil up the bearings and cylinders during assembly. I wouldnt bother converting to premix, as already stated it is a pita. Then you have the added headache of changing oil in the balancers. I have never seen someone post that they had had a oil pump fail on a 150. I would just change the oil lines out ever 3 seasons or so. Her are a few pics of a 00 I did with the exact same failure. It had 5 hours on the top end so I just changed #2. With the piston still in it didnt look bad. After it came out and had a hone it looked real bad.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01687.JPG 
Views:	46 
Size:	147.7 KB 
ID:	85730   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01688.JPG 
Views:	48 
Size:	131.6 KB 
ID:	85731   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01690.JPG 
Views:	45 
Size:	153.4 KB 
ID:	85732   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01694.JPG 
Views:	45 
Size:	150.7 KB 
ID:	85733   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01695.JPG 
Views:	39 
Size:	144.7 KB 
ID:	85734   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01697.JPG 
Views:	44 
Size:	140.7 KB 
ID:	85735  

Thread Information