Axle Nut Washer???

I`ve had trailers that didn`t have the washers behind the castle nut, and I`ve had trailers that did have the washers behind the castle nut.
    When I built my new axle for the Venture trailer I could not incorporate the washers that came with the nut kit, they are thick and made the cotter pin hole a little to tight for my liking...cotter pin would not go into the hole all the way without distorting or bending the top and hammering it into the castle nut...

Do you guys think it`s ok, to leave the washers out? like I said, some do and some don`t...

How much meat is there on the castle nut? Can the slot in the nut be milled deeper?

I say this, 'cause the castle nut might not have the shoulder afrea to contact the bearing but when used with a washer it would.

Quote Originally Posted by Bent View Post
    How much meat is there on the castle nut? Can the slot in the nut be milled deeper?

I say this, 'cause the castle nut might not have the shoulder afrea to contact the bearing but when used with a washer it would.
    the castle nut is approx 1/16 less in diameter than the washer provided.
    The nut is just about right the way it is made, if you absolutely had to i would mill down the back of the nut, but this is not really critical if you keep the bearings greased accordingly...

I can't call myself an authority on these things, but I can't see it being needed if the nut doesn't interfere in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Bent View Post
    I can't call myself an authority on these things, but I can't see it being needed if the nut doesn't interfere in the first place.
    I have seen both scenario`s:
    I have seen where the bearing itself (the main body that holds the rollers, not the cage, will spin on the axle spindle... and in normal situations it will do this.

so bearing body now rotates against stationary nut VS rotating against the washer...

I have seen trailer assy`s both ways...
    I think it will be good as long as the bearings are kept free from crap and lubed up...

+1
    As long as the nut is in good contact with the inner race you will be fine..
    Worry less ride more

Quote Originally Posted by beerdart View Post
    As long as the nut is in good contact with the inner race you will be fine..
    Worry less ride more
    oh yeah, castle nut is super flat, looks machined, the assy has the required bearing play...

Thread Information