Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

XR1800 Conversion ... Any Takers ???

I live in NJ, and I have a 2000 Yamaha XR1800 in need of a conversion to the new FX motors. Since i do not have the work area to do this myself, I am looking for anyone brave enough to tackle this project for me ???

I am fully aware purchasing a new boat would be the easiest solution, but i really like this one.

Ideas and suggestions are very much welcomed.

Fat Man, Little Boat Region8Ultra250X's Avatar
    +1
    4 tec conversion..... i think its been done already and you wouldn't becompletely re-inventing the wheel either.

but there is enough of us here in jersey i am sure we could tackle this if you wanted to stick with the yamaha motors

Cool, Yamaha motors is what i was thinking. Is there a local performance shop that would do this kind of project, or more of a backyard thing. Either way, im glad it sounds feasible, to make the conversion.

+1
    this more than likely will be a back yard thing as any shop is gonna rape you in labor.

figure a weekend to tear down and mock up motor mounts/pump/figure out what needs to be done for a driveshaft, another weekend to wire the boat/plumb the fuel system. and another for final assembly

that is an optimistic assumption on my part but it could be done if everything lined up ahead of time as far as the motors, wiring harnesses, fuel system and such...... do i smell a turbo fx motor going in each side of this thing?

cheatin' piston popper addicted's Avatar
    +1
    Should be a cake walk with the Yamaha motors. Probably just a matter of getting the right motor mounts. The 140 engine more or less fell right into the gpr, as did the sho engine. YOu are probably looking at minimal wiring, maybe different intermediate shafts, & different props. Probably 2-3 days work for 2 backyard guys with the right tools.

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=44007

It was my hopes that someone or some shop, would do the conversion in trade for the 2 stock 66v motors.

I have no definite ideas on what to replace them with.

The main reason for the conversion is just to get rid of that 2 stroke smell and smoke. I hope i dont offend any of the hard core 2 strokers, but my boat had become a giant mosquito killer. I also really like the idea of EFI. I really dont need any better performance then what the 66v motors gave me..... but i wont complain if its far better either.

Since horsepower takes a back seat, I'm counting on the Tribal Elders of this forum to persued me to the correct engine choice for this conversion. A clean easy install, and low maintenance are my main concerns.

Once ( I / We / They ) have made my decision, i will probably just buy 2 new skis to be cannibalized. It may sound expensive, but its half the price of a new boat.

+1
    do the 155hp 4-tec motors then if you want efi and fuel economy. atleast down the line if you want to go forced induction you know you can

Boostaholic has a XR1800 4-TEC conversion going on. After studying his progress, and reading his comments, the yamaha motors might be an easier install.

cheatin' piston popper addicted's Avatar
    +1
    the yamaha motors are far easier to swap in there. The rotax swap is what you would do if you wanted max speed/power. if you want economy, reliability and ease of install, stick with the fx motors. at least that's how I see it.

the MR-1 engines (160,140) will bolt right into the motor mounts already in the boat. You will most likely have to trim some of the fiberglass engine compartment liner, below the motors, like the GPRXP hull cuts, but possibly not. The drive system should also line up perfectly, as the XR-1800 has the same length midshaft as the FX ski's do. Bottom line, this should be a VERY straight forward conversion. I was originally going to go this route, but the MR-1's just didn't have the power potential I was looking for.

FYI: I have 2 dead fx160 engines if your need motors, one that dropped a valve, and one that put a crank through the case. Both are repairable, But between the two you have 1 complete good motor without needing anything more than a fresh hone. I also have 1 complete set of electronics and everything for a 160. PM me if you dont have motors yet, maybe we can work out a deal as I don't need the 160's anymore since I decided to go with the 4tec's.
    Last edited by boostaholic; 08-01-2008 at 08:33 AM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information