best place for switched power source finally

VTS wire, tap into the MPEM, fuse box, what is the most convenient way to do the job. Ive been meaning to wire up my boost gauge and eventually an A/F gauge and had been reading through some of the past posts and every different way has some pros and cons. What do you think is the cleanest and most convenient place for the install. I consider myself to be handy but when it comes to wiring ive never done much with it so I don't have that common sense that comes with working with something for a while, I need a step by step how to like tapping into the mpem but it seems like a lot of work for something that could be done a lot easier elsewhere on the ski or is this the way to go.
    Last edited by excess; 07-26-2006 at 12:07 AM.

fabrication guru rapidacceleration's Avatar
    +1

I have changed to doing this.
    Find the puple wire going to the starter relay little plug. You want the purple wire NOT the purple wire with the yellow tracer. (2006 RXP)

Take a mini torch and heat the insulation enough so so can pull off a small piece of insulation without hurting the wire.

Take an extra piece of wire and practice the above to get the feel for it, it is easy and better on the wire than razor blades etc...

Then solder your wire to the exposed wire and tape it up and you are done.

This method is easy, doesnt require buds to activate anything and doesnt cause any fault codes. It will work on all the years and models of the 4 -tecs. ( I have not verified all years and models use the purple colored wire but there are only two and you want the one that has power to it when it is unplugged with the lanyard on.) Use a testlight with clip end on battery negative terminal.

It will work fine for the low current draw for the gauges without even changing the size of the fuse.

Do not use for bilge pumps, coffee pots or any other high current draw items.

I just use a 30A car relay from radio shack. I have it connect to the 3A fuse in the top right of the fuse box. Then I have my accesories spliced together and connected to it. I have inline fuses on each accesory.

It turns on my fans, bilge pump and battery monitor when I plug up my lanyard then turns then off after about 10seconds after pulling the lanyard.

kinch what year is your ski and did you get any fault codes or flashing lights after your install?

Quote Originally Posted by friebe1
    I have changed to doing this.
    Find the puple wire going to the starter relay little plug. You want the purple wire NOT the purple wire with the yellow tracer. (2006 RXP)

Take a mini torch and heat the insulation enough so so can pull off a small piece of insulation without hurting the wire.

Take an extra piece of wire and practice the above to get the feel for it, it is easy and better on the wire than razor blades etc...

Then solder your wire to the exposed wire and tape it up and you are done.

This method is easy, doesnt require buds to activate anything and doesnt cause any fault codes. It will work on all the years and models of the 4 -tecs. ( I have not verified all years and models use the purple colored wire but there are only two and you want the one that has power to it when it is unplugged with the lanyard on.) Use a testlight with clip end on battery negative terminal.

It will work fine for the low current draw for the gauges without even changing the size of the fuse.

Do not use for bilge pumps, coffee pots or any other high current draw items.
    what exactly is the purple wire for and is 2 gauges on the same wire ok?

Quote Originally Posted by excess
    kinch what year is your ski and did you get any fault codes or flashing lights after your install?
    I have an 05 RXT

No because all a relay does is switch ALL the power from the accessories to pull DIRECTLY from the battery once it detects a power flow come from the 3A fuse which is right when you plug in the lanyard.

It's fullproof as long as you have inline fuses on each of the accessories

This is all I used
    http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search

with one of the wires going to the 3A fuse with a fuse holder.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinchyle View Post
    I just use a 30A car relay from radio shack. I have it connect to the 3A fuse in the top right of the fuse box. Then I have my accesories spliced together and connected to it. I have inline fuses on each accesory.

It turns on my fans, bilge pump and battery monitor when I plug up my lanyard then turns then off after about 10seconds after pulling the lanyard.
    Kinchyle, can you elaborate how you did this or maybe post some pictures? I am trying to find a way to wire my boost gauge and a bilge pump. This sounds like a good way to do it but I am a visual kind of person and pics would help out greatly!

Prohibido usuario
    +1
    Kinch probably isn't going to answer this since he hasn't been online in a month.

Thanks for the heads up. I sent him a pm. Hopefully he will reply.

Thread Information