Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Marley Creek, MD

raider grate, plate, engine mod questions

I'm not concerned with squeezing 2mph out of my ski as i rarely... actually i've never had it topped out. But i do want it to be better than it is in chop/rough water. I know it will never be GREAT at anything, but i want it to be better. This will soon be my 'second' ski, or for the g/f, or sell cheeeap to a friend, seriously looking at a new or 1yr old yamaha. I mostly just cruise around on my ski,with just a tiny amount of jumping, mostly just goofing off, no racing.

Intake grates:
    Moflow: $83 (ocperformance)
    R&D Aquavein: $138 (dennis kirk)
    Worx: $170 (worx)
    Is the worx>R$D>Moflow? (obviously i like the price of moflow)
    Any others i should look at? This is something i'd order this week if the Moflow is worth getting. If moflow isn't real/any good i'll debate on getting one that is pricier.

Ride plates:
    Protec: $50 (ocperformance)
    (i'm not really even sure what a ride plate does enough to know what it would improve, but i'll order along with intake grate and save shipping ftw) What will it do and are there better ones? Would sponsons be a better investment (i've heard locally they make a good difference)?

And the engine is getting torn apart and rebuilt this winter mostly to ensure reliability and clean it up. The group K engine stuff... they do the work or is it a kit? (i looked but it was ambiguous) And is it worth getting the 'sleeper'. Seems like a good deal at $650 if they do the work. (i figure it would cost me $300+ in parts to tear it apart myself and not really replace anything but gaskets with no performance gain?)

Thanks.

Any of the intake grates made for rough water riding are the same. I have a pro tec on mine and love how its keeps ths ski hooked up all the time in rough water. During the fourth i was riding in 2ft waves and its kept my pump hooked up. They do knock off a little speed in smooth water. For top speed the stock grate with the center bars cut out is just as good as any speed grate.

Ride plates are different however. The only ride plate worth getting would be the pro tec shorty for flat water speed. But for rough water the longer stock ride plate is plenty. The shorter the ride plate the more bouce your ski will have in light chop I think riva or somebody actually did make a extended ride plate for handling. Also if you just cruise all the time i would recomend the pro-tec extended nozzle and sponsors. I think worx is the only one still making them for our ski. The sponsors will help you track better in rough water and smooth. The stock ones actually create drag in smooth water.

Groupk does the work to your stuff. So it requires you too ship it to them and wait for it.
    Last edited by johnson7454; 07-29-2008 at 06:02 PM.

good info-i have protec adjustable sponsons for sale for raider 1100 they no longer make these and bolt straight on-$75 shipped

Marley Creek, MD
    were 1100 and 700 sponsons the same?

Quote Originally Posted by 95yami701 View Post
    were 1100 and 700 sponsons the same?
    1995's are the same and thats what these are

I think u might want to recheck those group k prices........ 600 bucks will only get you cylinders ported. They did a big bore kit for the raider that was like 1280.....
    http://www.groupk.com/y1100-1200.htm

Marley Creek, MD
    Quote Originally Posted by jdog800 View Post
    I think u might want to recheck those group k prices........ 600 bucks will only get you cylinders ported. They did a big bore kit for the raider that was like 1280.....
    http://www.groupk.com/y1100-1200.htm
    http://www.groupk.com/y701-c2.htm (but i'm sure they'll get me for extras)

edit: oh and i ordered an aquavein, and might have sponsons in the works.
    Last edited by 95yami701; 07-30-2008 at 06:32 PM.

650 dollars for that much speed isnt too bad. but a little steep.
    Last edited by johnson7454; 07-30-2008 at 09:08 PM.

Marley Creek, MD
    Yeah i guess the group k is supposed to get me 3 mph... which i don't care about. What i care about is acceleration, responsive, and fun at lower speeds.

Would i be better off just cracking the engine open, checking it out, regasketing and putting it back together, and spend some cash on the pump rather than the engine?

that would be my advice. But i wouldnt touch the engine unless it needed. I would just rebuild the carbs or even have groupk port them. Then worry about the impeller. Just get a pitch for low end. The 701 is never going to be a speed king so just make it have a killer holeshot.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information