Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

R&D SHO Power Plenum Kit

This is the new air intake from R&D. They will be ready to ship next week.

You can pre order this item here
    http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...roducts_id=956

thanks,
    Jerry
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4512.JPG 
Views:	131 
Size:	155.0 KB 
ID:	85660  

+1
    Hi, Any idea how the R&D one compares to the RIVA set up?

+1
    it looks like it has a lot bigger chance for water intrusion not GOOD!!!

and how would you wash down the engine after riding ? ? ?

It's not the destination, it's the journey!! Rip'nTear SHO's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 02gpR View Post
    it looks like it has a lot bigger chance for water intrusion not GOOD!!!

and how would you wash down the engine after riding ? ? ?
    yeah....i'd have to agree.....not crazy about that setup....even tho it looks like it would flow a ton....looks like a very high probability for water intrusion?!!?

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Rip'nTear SHO View Post
    yeah....i'd have to agree.....not crazy about that setup....even tho it looks like it would flow a ton....looks like a very high probability for water intrusion?!!?
    Uneducated +1

Simply appears in that photo without an outterwear to be highly exposed to water. But in a straight smooth line, also appears more throughput....so much so does anyone know if the hull will allow enough air given the size of intake on the RD unit? Utimately we will all be taking notes from the GPR guys on the SHO but in this case does this intake flow a heck a alot more CFM than the stock openings (into engine compartment)in the SHO will flow? If that is the case then the install notes should include instructions to either open up the SHO for AIR or all of the added "opportuinty" CFM only exposes you to water intake.

I am sure there is an answer, but we haven't heard it yet. But anyone that knows the RUO code should also have the engineering specs on airflow into the engine compartment that result into CFM and oh yea the HP which should spin a prop at a given RPM and result in a MPH and clearly a reduced MPG

+1
    I have to agree, looks like potential water intrusion especially in rough water conditions. Maybe some kind of guard over the filter will frevent it.

+1
    Here is an idea:
    Sorry the pic did not come out, can you Delete?
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by DP.; 07-30-2008 at 09:10 AM.

+1
    Utimately we will all be taking notes from the GPR guys on the SHO
    I'm not sure how the results will differ with the SHO, but there are a ton of Riva Power Filter/R&D Power Plenum(race filter) comparison threads in the 2 stroke section. On the GPR, there is a definate performance gain using the race filter. There are also guys that claim they have never had water intrusion using the Plenum, even after going out and jumping waves. I don't think I would be that brave in conditions where there is a possibility of submerging the ski and/or flooding the engine bay. BTW, both filters are mounted very low in the GPR hull, so with the SHO there may be less risk since the filter sits a bit higher. This is only an observation from seeing the pictures Jerry posted, so don't take my word for it. Also, with the the GPR there is a need to add more air intake openings to allow it to breathe better. After installing the Riva power filter on my GPR, the seat would be sucked down when revving the engine on the trailer. I am also curious to find out if the SHO engine bay is better ventilated.

+1
    I have to agree, looks like potential water intrusion especially in rough water conditions. Maybe some kind of guard over the filter will frevent it.
    I just called R&D, and they don't yet offer a pre-filter for the SHO Plenum.

It's not the destination, it's the journey!! Rip'nTear SHO's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wb1205 View Post
    Uneducated +1

Simply appears in that photo without an outterwear to be highly exposed to water. But in a straight smooth line, also appears more throughput....so much so does anyone know if the hull will allow enough air given the size of intake on the RD unit? Utimately we will all be taking notes from the GPR guys on the SHO but in this case does this intake flow a heck a alot more CFM than the stock openings (into engine compartment)in the SHO will flow? If that is the case then the install notes should include instructions to either open up the SHO for AIR or all of the added "opportuinty" CFM only exposes you to water intake.

I am sure there is an answer, but we haven't heard it yet. But anyone that knows the RUO code should also have the engineering specs on airflow into the engine compartment that result into CFM and oh yea the HP which should spin a prop at a given RPM and result in a MPH and clearly a reduced MPG
    just to edumacate , when i wash my SHO after hard riding in the salt, there r 2 places in the engine compartment that i can see the residual trace of salt from salt water leakdown into the engine compartment.......if the SHO motor is a clock....then i can see salt in the 9o'clock thru 12 o'clock positions.......
    So I have to make a point of thoroughly rinsing these areas because even with strict maintenance/misting...i am starting to have discoloration/corrosion (small amount) on the front of my motor on the supercharger and the motor mount (i.e. where this filter is located)...thus the possibility of water intrusion, especially without a prefilter....is a definite possiblity. Also makes it more difficult to rinse the ski down.....R & D unit might flow more than the Riva.....but i believe that the positioning of the Riva over the front tank of the ski (away from the exhaust) is an easier setup to live with....just my .02.........

R & D makes great stuff....just the position of this filter coupled with the location of where my ski seems to leak water is not a good combo for the type of riding that i do.........

And im very interested in the idea of opening up airflow into the 'hull' of the SHO.......I believe dentwizard removed the foam on his inlets......will be interesting to see what u guys come up with......
    Last edited by Rip'nTear SHO; 07-30-2008 at 02:11 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information