Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: BOV or not?

+1

BOV or not?

I'm curious here should I run a BOV or not? On my Stage 2 RXP its direct (blocked off) on my Stage 3 its also blocked off, I'm just wondering if I'm playing with fire here?

+1
    Wel this is a very yes and no question. Some will say no some will say yes. I run 1, mainly because I ride in the sea all of the time. The sea is never that flat, and coming unhooked all of the time causes high wear to the clutch. What a BOV will do is save your clutch from wearing as much. But if you are going to run 1 make sure it is a good 1, i'v got a turbosmart vee port 2 on my RXP. I have read alot about the riva valve leaking and this is obviosly not good for performance. In my opinion if you are running a valve that is reliable and won't leak then it is a must have as it will save your SC from a lot of stresses, therefore longer life from your clutch, bearings, shaft ect ect. R88

Gotta love this sport! 05Limited's Avatar
    +1
    BOV or not?

And the beat goes on... (Sonny and Cher reference)

This, and "OPAS or not", have got to be the two most debated threads on GH Performance

I say nay, nay... but many others will chime in with LOGICAL reasons contrary to this opinion.

I suppose it comes down to one's belief in what does (or does not) produce the best performance without compromising boost.

Let the debate commence

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 05Limited View Post
    BOV or not?

And the beat goes on... (Sonny and Cher reference)

This, and "OPAS or not", have got to be the two most debated threads on GH Performance

I say nay, nay... but many others will chime in with LOGICAL reasons contrary to this opinion.

I suppose it comes down to one's belief in what does (or does not) produce the best performance without compromising boost.

Let the debate commence
    LOL i knew as soon as i saw this thread it would go down this route hahahahaha. I agree that a BOV could comprimise boost but it is a trade off for relibility and my conditions and the fact that mine is a family ski that i want in the water all summer calls for good reliability. If it was just for me i would have a fire breathing turbo but this is not practicle. As said you are about to get alot of diff opinions. But you can reaad them and see what you agree with best.

It seems to me that the BOV will do more to save the plastic intake manifold from splitting than to save the clutches. The clutches slow the SC wheel down quickly when you unhook and let off the throttle. You definately need a BOV with a turbo engine because there is nothing to slow down the turbo, like the clutches do with the SC. As the turbo is freewheeling, the boost has to go somewhere, and the BOV let's it escape before it hits the TB. On my Saab, the BOV (called a hooter valve) directs the boost back to the input side of the turbo instead of the atmosphere... Ron

Gotta love this sport! 05Limited's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by King_Of_Fun View Post
    ...On my Saab, the BOV... (called a hooter valve)...
    Ron, I concede...

What red blooded male, in their right mind, would refuse to endorse a performance upgrade called a "hooter valve"?

+1
    It seems to me that the BOV will do more to save the plastic intake manifold from splitting than to save the clutches. The clutches slow the SC wheel down quickly when you unhook and let off the throttle. You definately need a BOV with a turbo engine because there is nothing to slow down the turbo, like the clutches do with the SC. As the turbo is freewheeling, the boost has to go somewhere, and the BOV let's it escape before it hits the TB. On my Saab, the BOV (called a hooter valve) directs the boost back to the input side of the turbo instead of the atmosphere... Ron
    I agree with certain points but it is the action of slowing the sc wheel down that wears these clutches out and causes them to slip, and therefore perform badly. However when you have a BOV the clutch has LESS work to do as it is not being forced to slip by a backup of boost pressure. I don't feel that the BOV will do much for the intake manifold because when you shut the throttle the manifold has no boost anyway the throttle body is holding it back. LOL Hooter Valve now that is funny. I think we should have this thread changed to HOOTER VALVE OR NOT??? hahahahaha

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1

Talking

Well I guess you guys in the USA have differnent terms for that part

I /We aussies call the valve in question a BYPASS valve
    A BYPASS valve or a dump valve relieves inlet boost pressure when the throttle comes of 100% open, as inlet system vacum increases the valve opens more, Dumping the pressure so at idle and off throttle action the Boost is being dumped external, same as when you can gears in a car.

A BOV is in the system so if a over boost situation is reached at any point in the engines life,the valve will BLOW OFF! and act as a safety device.
    Has nothing to do with performance if it isnt leaking. it is almost impossible for a super charged engine to over boost because boost in directly related to blower RPM, and they are capped by the REV limiter

block it off if it leaks, if not leakin leave it be

A bypass valve also reduces lag on a turbo car as stated, stops the boost from building up pressure behind a closed throttle blade and back pressurizing the turbo and slowing the core speed down.

The clutch's are there to releave the stress of rapid off throttle and unhooking of the drive line, basically same as if you dump a clutch on a car from the get go you will achieve max drive line stress and possible break chit, If you do the same take off and slip the clutch slightly you will dramaticlly reduce the initail stress , Does that help explain it at all

any just my .02

Waz

anyway I will go back to my hole now
    Last edited by sirbreaksalot; 07-30-2008 at 04:49 AM.

+1
    +1

it would be good maybe if we had clutches but we dont so we got a relief valve instead.

Does anyone recognise this brand // type of BOV ?

Good, Bad, resell it ?

The seller said he replaced the leaking RIVA BOV with this one but didn't answer my question if it was adjustable or not.
    He did say it was 'set' for 6psi blow off. Is that too low for a stock wheel ?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270258761040&ssPageNam e=ADME:B:EOIBSA:MOTORS:1123
    Last edited by David_HX_RXP; 08-01-2008 at 07:18 AM. Reason: more info

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information