Thread: CDI bad?

CDI bad?

Hey guys,
    I'm hoping someone can answer this. How can you tell when a CDI goes bad. What is its behavior. I have a 94 SLT 750 that idles but when you hit the gas, it will come up part way and then bog. I've tried everything I can think of. I thought it was a fuel delivery problem but now i'm thinking that the spark is not keeping pace. New triple outlet pump, fuel lines, rebuilt carbs...

Also, the kill switch will not kill the engine. Can't figure that one out either. Checked the black/yellow in the box to ground and the circuit is connected when you press the kill switch or pull the lanyard but the engine keeps running. Any ideas?
    Jeff

+1
    A quick test to see if the rev limiter is causing your higher rpm bog is to disconnect the gray wire going to the CDI box. Low fuel OR High temp is what normally cause the ski to go into this "limp mode". If you disconnect the gray wire and still have the same problem and you know for sure that there is no fuel problem, then the CDI could be suspect since that is a common point for BOTH of your issues.

Post your location in your profile...there may be folks near you that may want to help.

The 94 750SLT does not have a rev limiter as far as I can determine and my CDI does not have a gray wire. Is there a way to troubleshoot a CDI?

By the way, on the kill switch issue, it was working before I opened the elec box. My mfd was not working. I got it to come to life by just connecting the pwr and ground to mfd (I thought it was dead before) so I hooked it up inside the elec box and my kill switch stopped working. Right now, I have disconnected every wire to the mfd thinking that somehow the mfd was causing the circuit problem and still the kill switch is not working. My understanding is that the kill switch is supposed to send the spark to ground thereby killing the engine but somehow the spark continues to the plugs. Does that sound correct?
    Last edited by jeffe; 07-30-2008 at 10:25 AM.

+1
    hows it start ??? do you have to choke it to start it. after the bog does it pick up speed if so i would bump my low jets up 5 and see how it is then .

I haven't had it in the water in about a year. I'm just trying to get it running. I do have to choke it to get it started cold. What do you mean by bump the jets up 5? Change them? I was going to try playing with the low speed jets as soon as I got it in the water and see if it affected things.

Any ideas on the kill switch thing?

Thread Information