Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hotseat to produce more hardened driveshafts

I talked to John at Hotseat today. He said he could make more hardened shafts, if we got enough orders in. 20 should do it, but the more ordered, the lower the cost. He needs a brand new stock shaft to take to the machine shop to get a quote. Whoever is interested, please check in. I also need someone with a new shaft who is willing to send it in. If I can't get anyone who already has one, I may have to break down and buy one to send in. Sounds like the price is going to be more than the $250 it used to cost

Al, should I put you and Kevin down for a dozen? I'll try to get them to do a bakers dozen.

Rasta Mon Condoms We Be Jammin!!!!! TxVirageTx's Avatar
    +1

shaft

got a very gc shaft in the attic,bought it as a back up,what we really need to do is get all the pro1200 guys together and get the long shafts made as well,thats definately worth doing to any pro1200seemed like as long as the water was smooth like the river the carrier didn't move,but if i rode it hard in some rough stuff it'll turn just a little

Quote Originally Posted by TxPro1200 View Post
    got a very gc shaft in the attic,bought it as a back up,what we really need to do is get all the pro1200 guys together and get the long shafts made as well,thats definately worth doing to any pro1200seemed like as long as the water was smooth like the river the carrier didn't move,but if i rode it hard in some rough stuff it'll turn just a little
    They could probably do a 1/2 run of each. Everything would be the same but the length.

Yup, it was the rough stuff that would mess mine up too. It must be when the boat comes unhooked and hooks back up that the shaft starts whipping.

I cna get the shafts made not a problem. I have a machinist that makes shafts for me all the time for Sleds. And I am sure it will be less the Hot Seat. Are you just twisting the splines. I can get them made out of
    micro-alloy or even titanium

Quote Originally Posted by prochamp View Post
    I cna get the shafts made not a problem. I have a machinist that makes shafts for me all the time for Sleds. And I am sure it will be less the Hot Seat. Are you just twisting the splines. I can get them made out of
    micro-alloy or even titanium
    Splines have been ok so far. The shafts are just too soft and don't stay straight when in use and "whip" and flex in the center under WOT. The vibration caused by the shaft not running true is loosening bolts and clamps near the drive line. Not sure what material they make them from, but something harder than what it is now. What would you need to get a quote?

+1
    The whole shaft is about the same diameter as the bearing support. Talk about a lot more weight also.

I will get a quote and specs on micro alloy and also titanium. Titanium will be alot more money but the lightest you are going to get. What surprises me is your reason for having trouble with shaft flex. Actually a tube is much stronger for flexing then solid material. Has anyone ever had one core drilled?? I will look into it and get back with some answers.

Are you using this in a solid coupler or the rubber dampner??

+1
    I'm having a new shaft made from Aquamet 22 alloy for my MSX.... over 105,000psi yield strenght and, other than Aquamet 22HS, the reference in marine shafting. That will put an end to this issue for me. Other option would be Monel K-500, but priced out of this world....

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by prochamp View Post
    I will get a quote and specs on micro alloy and also titanium. Titanium will be alot more money but the lightest you are going to get. What surprises me is your reason for having trouble with shaft flex. Actually a tube is much stronger for flexing then solid material. Has anyone ever had one core drilled?? I will look into it and get back with some answers.

Are you using this in a solid coupler or the rubber dampner??

Prochamp ,
    can you get a price on an extended one for the pro 1200
    22 3/8 long
    Last edited by 785 lugs; 07-30-2008 at 07:01 PM.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    I've got a brandy new 24 3/8" long drive shaft in my possession. I'd also be interetsed for the right price....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information