Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Banned User
    +1

SHO and RXT-X race...guess who won??

Neither....it was dead even, from start to finish.

Let me explain a bit. I have a 2008 RXT-X with the R&D performer kit, repitched prop, and skegs. The SHO I had the chance to ride is the R&D performer kit mule, for lack of a better term.

For about the last month and a half, I've had the opportunity to race my ski against this SHO as the performer kit parts were taking shape. In the beginning, it wasn't much of a race as I would pull the SHO from zero to over 70mph.

Well today I saw a different SHO. It has all the parts from the R&D performer kit, plus the ride plate, intake grate, prop, auto-drop nozzle, and skegs. All of these parts will be available very soon. No, I'm not selling any of this stuff, just making a comparison.

I've never ridden a stock SHO. And I've only ridden this SHO about 4 times now. But today, what impressed me the most, was that from a dead stop, to over 70mph, the SHO was right next to my RXT-X. We ran the exact same top speeds....and the bottom end was awesome.

I did get to ride it, and it was very impressive. It pulled the same as my T-X, and handled at top speed equally as well. It also is turning much better now. Probably due to improvements in the ride plate. Before, when I rode the SHO, I liked my X boat better for racing around buoys as I thought the SHO was heavy in the steering, and had too much lean in the turns, which would make it more difficult to ride in a buoy course. Not today. It handled on par with my X boat. And, I think if I were to run the buoy course, the times would be the same.

What really suprises me about this boat(SHO), is that it starts off life with about 219hp, and about 20lbs heavier than the T-X. So, the improvements made by the performer kit on the SHO compared to the T-X are nothing short of amazing. When you consider a stock SHO runs about 65mph...and a stock T-X does about 68mph....and now there dead even!!! That's impressive as hell.

Sounds great , thanks for da info this bike will have no problem running high 70's man, cant wait for the r&d kit to come out.

It's not the destination, it's the journey!! Rip'nTear SHO's Avatar
    hey flyems,
    always appreciate ur write-ups on the R & D SHO........
    this is from the PWCoffSHOre.com buyer's guide...
    ""#3: Yamaha FX SHO (Priced at 11,999):
    Speed: 3
    Stability in the ocean: 4
    Hull for speed in the rough: 3
    Reliability in the ocean: 4
    Opportunities to upgrade w/aftermarket: 2
    Agility: 4
    Quickness out of the hole: 4
    Riding comfort / Ergonomics: 5
    Fuel consumption and range: 5
    FX SHO Highlights and other observations: Supercharged 1812 cc, approximately 215 hp, 4-cylinder, 4-stroke, three seater, has cruise control. We’re told that this engine is possibly the best watercraft engine ever produced. Very quick out of the hole. In typical conservative Yamaha fashion, this craft appears to be under-boosted and underutilized i.e. there is a great deal of potential and untapped power with this craft. As soon as someone figures out how to unlock the ECU, this craft will be a significant force to be reckoned with in the offshore racing arena. Light high-tech nanotechnology (NanoXcel) hull results in a lighter hull but we're hearing a rougher ride in the ocean - nanotechnology appears to be a more rigid hull that doesn’t appear to flex like fiberglass therefore some of the pounding of the rough water is transferred to the rider. Good hookup in the rough. Extremely quiet and smooth power band. It is distinctly possible that this craft could increase its position on this page as time and the aftermarket progresses. Nice job Yamaha. ""

I've realized that the wait time to for the aftermarket to address the Yamaha "under-performance" can be painful but theres a lot of sweat/wrenching/fabricating to put out a good quality part so ok...i'll wait).....but hearing your posts helps to alleviate that wait. I look forward to purchasing some of these R&D pieces and building the foundations of the ski until the ECU unlocks this ski's full potential.
    Jerry posted "Yep, we can look forward to an ECU replacement for stage 1. The ECU brings on TONS of power. The stock ECU is extremely conservative.

RXT-X, especially modded...is a beast............nice to hear that the SHO has, in it's first generation, been given the capability to keep up with a 5th generation ski.....
    Add the Ultra and rough water.....need i say more?
    SHO definitely has its work cut out for it.....but the makings of a hardcore, manufacturer grudge-match seem to be falling into place nicely.....
    AND the benefactor of this grudge match is...us ....all the greenhulk/pwc maniacs.......
    Last edited by Rip'nTear SHO; 07-30-2008 at 02:19 PM.

Can't wait till more mods come out also can't wait to see what kind of #'s Wes-Tec is gonna be running with mods

Banned User
    +1
    I don't really think theres any problem with the ECU. I've seen mid 70s on this SHO, and today, with bad air-humid, we both hit 71mph. Not sure how much faster you want to go. I also know he's working on, or already has wheels for this boat. The one that was in there was completely stock.
    If I was going to change the ECU, I would worry about the valves. Higher RPM isn't really good for them. I think Yamaha was very conservative on there rev limit(77, or 7800??). Can you imagine if this thing had an 8200rpm rev limiter like the X boats??

I really think that the set up the R&D SHO mule has in it right now probably puts the horsepower at over 250, and that's being conservative. Think about it. My boat has 255hp(or so SeaDoo says), and the Yamaha has 219ish....... plus, the SHO has more wetted surface at speed than the R-X. To make that SHO perform equal to my modded X boat is just incredible.

I really think that in the next few weeks he'll have that SHO running faster than my T-X.

Don't get me wrong; I'm not ready to go out and buy a SHO just yet. That ECU is going to be $$$$$.....not that the Rotax ECU's are cheap. Plus, the SHO motor is brand new.....so there just isn't a lot of go faster parts out right now. I do predict though that there might just be an 80+mph SHO in the very near future.

+1
    Yes, I have no doubt that the Yamaha can be modded to reach the same performance level as a SeaDoo...

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by YoYamma View Post
    Yes, I have no doubt that the Yamaha can be modded to reach the same performance level as a SeaDoo...
    I may have understated my previous comment. I think the SHO will outperform the X boats soon. That's what's really got me concerned. Think about it; You have 4 cylinders and 1800cc's. The X boats are riding on hulls that are 5 yrs old...there good hulls, but really all the X boat stuff is 5 yr old technology.

I still like my T-X....but I'm starting to have a lot more respect for the SHO.

I'm gettin wood for a 2 seater SHO

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by VOODOO View Post
    I'm gettin wood for a 2 seater SHO
    Hmmm...interesting. I wonder if that's what I saw going upriver last week all disguised.

Seriously though, I think all the manufacturers sell a lot more 3 seaters than 2 seaters. I'd like to see Yamaha modify the hull a little bit more so there's not so much wetted surface at max speed. You can only get so much of the hull out of the water before it starts to porpoise.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by iflyems View Post
    I may have understated my previous comment. I think the SHO will outperform the X boats soon.
    SOON... yeah that's where Yamaha has been for years, they ALMOST catch up and then Sea-Doo comes out with something that leaves them again... we can see the latest results of this vicious cycle right here:
    http://greenhulk.net/forums/announcement.php?f=8&a=35

That's what's really got me concerned. Think about it; You have 4 cylinders and 1800cc's. The X boats are riding on hulls that are 5 yrs old...there good hulls, but really all the X boat stuff is 5 yr old technology.
    True and SC's have been a PIA for owners, but word on the street is Sea-Doo has new technology coming (again). All Sea-Doo needs is a better SC design to improve reliability, lighter hull, ZOOOM, they will leave Yamaha once again. It's part of the corporate DNA...

I still like my T-X....but I'm starting to have a lot more respect for the SHO.
    Naaah, I figure you just work part time for R&D or at least get a check from them. (kidding) Oh I hear you bro, I have always had respect for Yamaha, that's why I never changed my name here...
    Last edited by YoYamma; 07-30-2008 at 04:51 PM.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information