Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

good all around impeller for 96 xp

I'm looking to get a new impeller to pick up some all around performance but I don't want to harm my motor it is stock. Everything is stock it does about 53 mph now but must go faster plus I want to check everything else out the wear ring is what around the impeller right? I'm not to sure new to jet-skis but I am a quick learner, If I do replace the impeller what else should I replace since I will have it apart. What are some good all around Impellers? Thanks everyone

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    Personally I have a Solas XO, gains you a bit of top end and a bit of hole shot as well. going either side of this prop your getting either more topend less hole shot or less top end, more hole shot. If you do decide to do this there is a sticky thread I believe for changing props. your wear ring is probly the stock one so I would definitly change that out. you will be able to tell what kind of shape its in by the way the prop looks. ie chips and dents or just the gap between the prop and ring. The ring runs around $50. Inspect the brass veins in the pump too file down rough edges. Also change the oil in the impeller cone. you will have to do this anyways to get the prop off. you will also need an impeller removal tool. its basically a socket with the drive shaft splines on it. I bought a bent drive shaft cut it off and welded it to an impact socket. your local shop might do it for free. if you take the pump to them, it takes 2 seconds to do. good luck!

Banned User
    Quote Originally Posted by ashelgren View Post
    I'm looking to get a new impeller to pick up some all around performance but I don't want to harm my motor it is stock. Everything is stock it does about 53 mph now but must go faster plus I want to check everything else out the wear ring is what around the impeller right? I'm not to sure new to jet-skis but I am a quick learner, If I do replace the impeller what else should I replace since I will have it apart. What are some good all around Impellers? Thanks everyone

Ditto on the XO, it's best all around prop for the stock pump. That's the first aftermarket prop I used, I went to a skat swirl, and noticed a big drop in performance. Now I run a 14 vein setback pump, and skat props, but for the stocker pump you can't do any better than the Solas XO.

Call Impros first before purchasing new. New X0's are around $300.
    Last edited by ski pimp; 07-30-2008 at 07:00 PM.

Stop Obama Express
    I have the Solas XO on both of my 96 XP's and did notice a huge loss in acceleration and top end when i switched back to a new OEM impeller. Needless to say, i had the SOLAS props repaired for $25 a pop and bought the impeller tool from SBT for only a couple bucks. MOBIL1 synthetic gear oil for the impeller shaft/cone as well as anerobic sealer and silicone sealer to put it all back together.

+1
    Billie, Did you use the search again????
    -your going to run out

Thanks

Thanks everyone I think I will go with to xo sounds like a good choice Do you think if I polish the pump while I have it out will pick up any speed or pick up? I know it will look better And I'm refering to the bronze piece in their if its not the pump, still learning about pwc.

Stop Obama Express
    Be sure to get a good intake grate to utilize that XO to its max efficency.

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    knocking off the burrs will help reduce turbulance in the pump(air pockets) which equals more thrust i believe.

Intake grate

Man I try to take off the ride plate I guess its called that the metal piece under the back got all the screws out but it will not move I don't want to break anything. Also I wanted to take off the intake grate I can't get the screws to budge and their allen head I was going to powder coat those parts xtreme chrome thought that would look sweet I did another piece on the back it looks cool. But anyway any tips on how to get those parts off without breaking anything?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	powder coat 001.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	86014  

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information