2004 no oil on stick, no ski in water(proverb)

just aquired a msx 110 turbo 4 stroke. i know no history on this thing. heres my question. i know the engine is supposed to be warmed up to check the oil level, but shouldn't you show some oil on the dip stick when cold? there is oil in my beilge, what would be the most likely thing to check first?

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    just aquired a msx 110 turbo 4 stroke. i know no history on this thing. heres my question. i know the engine is supposed to be warmed up to check the oil level, but shouldn't you show some oil on the dip stick when cold? there is oil in my beilge, what would be the most likely thing to check first?
    Since it is a dry sump oil system, the reservoir will seem to be low when cold (and before the engine is briefly run).

As for the oil in the bilge...could very well be spilled during an oil change, and filter change. There isn't any way to avoid losing some oil when the filter is removed...and if the mechanic didn't place some rags beneath the filter, there you go! Go to the service manual on this site, look up the oil changing procedure, and you will see just how you might have some oil in the hull....

thanks, i never thought of that being a possibility. noticed no oil on stick so i freaked. i looked for oil filter per book and have not located it yet. stuff is hard to get to in there.

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    thanks, i never thought of that being a possibility. noticed no oil on stick so i freaked. i looked for oil filter per book and have not located it yet. stuff is hard to get to in there.
    Try to find it by feel first...stick your hand around the block, between the oil reservoir and the exhaust manifold. You should be able to feel the hex end on the filter housing (the hex end is slanted upwards at a 45 degree angle). The filter housing may have a replaceable element, or the housing may be a one piece unit w/element. The one piece is the Second Design, and prefered over the replaceable element First Design. You can still find the paper elements (one is currently on eBay), but the new design can be had at a Polaris dealer, since it is still being used on their current ATV.

Thread Information