Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
  1. #1

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Savannah, GA
    Posts
    452

    Exhaust gasket at transom...almost sank!!

    I recently had to remove the metal exhaust elbow at the transom of my 99 XL12200Ltd. There is a rather thick rubber gasket between it and the hull. When it came time to reinstall I handed it to my Buddy. I told him that maybe it should go on dry with no sealant. He said, "put some silicone on there" and he installed it. I obliged and all was well...well it SEEMED well!!!. I took the ski out the next day and took on water several miles from the ramp. I could barely get out of the hole. When I put it on the trailer and inspected, I discovered that THE gasket had slid and was cut in several pieces from the combination of being too tight and having Gorilla snot silicone on it.

    My question is: Should this gasket be installed dry or not?


  2. #2
    Happily Self-Employed WFO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    12,801
    +1
    450
    Quote Originally Posted by roost5o View Post
    I recently had to remove the metal exhaust elbow at the transom of my 99 XL12200Ltd. There is a rather thick rubber gasket between it and the hull. When it came time to reinstall I handed it to my Buddy. I told him that maybe it should go on dry with no sealant. He said, "put some silicone on there" and he installed it. I obliged and all was well...well it SEEMED well!!!. I took the ski out the next day and took on water several miles from the ramp. I could barely get out of the hole. When I put it on the trailer and inspected, I discovered that THE gasket had slid and was cut in several pieces from the combination of being too tight and having Gorilla snot silicone on it.

    My question is: Should this gasket be installed dry or not?
    I put a little RTV on the gasket only to hold it on the flange while installing.

    I also install bilge pumps in all the boats I work on

  3. #3
    Moderator OsideBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    11,875
    +1
    30
    +1

    I also use blue loctite on the bolts and torque to spec to avoid overtightening.

  4. #4
    If your not doing something, its hard to screw up. stlouisramsfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Pontoon Beach Illinois
    Posts
    1,115
    Quote Originally Posted by WFO View Post
    I also install bilge pumps in all the boats I work on
    It iputs my mind @ ease knowing that i have an auto bilge pump when i am out on the lake

  5. #5

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Savannah, GA
    Posts
    452
    Quote Originally Posted by WFO View Post
    I also install bilge pumps in all the boats I work on
    That is now on my list of things to do.

  6. #6
    Happily Self-Employed WFO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    12,801
    +1
    450
    .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PICT0008.JPG 
Views:	47 
Size:	448.9 KB 
ID:	85991   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PICT0009.JPG 
Views:	30 
Size:	412.7 KB 
ID:	85992  

  7. #7

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Savannah, GA
    Posts
    452
    Thanks for the pics WFO. Is it auto? Is there a switch?

  8. #8
    Happily Self-Employed WFO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    12,801
    +1
    450
    Quote Originally Posted by roost5o View Post
    Thanks for the pics WFO. Is it auto? Is there a switch?
    no manual

    mounted waterproof switch up by the glove box

  9. #9

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Savannah, GA
    Posts
    452
    Quote Originally Posted by WFO View Post
    no manual

    mounted waterproof switch up by the glove box
    I think I will do both auto and switch. Did you use a relay?

  10. #10
    Happily Self-Employed WFO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    12,801
    +1
    450
    No, just ran the pos to the battery with an inline fuse holder and controlled the ground with a switch.

    You can get a 3 way waterproof switch for on/off/auto

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. To Replace or Not to Replace Exhaust Gasket
    By havanabama in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (2-stroke)
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-29-2007, 03:39 PM
  2. Replace Exhaust Gasket?
    By SeaBee63 in forum Polaris Open Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-14-2007, 11:21 PM
  3. Any one have both the exhaust gaskets together
    By BULLRAIDER in forum Yamaha Old School Skis
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-21-2007, 08:07 AM
  4. Almost sank it..........
    By Rendog in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 03-20-2006, 05:27 AM
  5. Almost sank my rxp today!
    By nitro rxp in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-20-2005, 09:37 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •