VHF Marine Radio Headsets???

Hi all

I am trying to find a decent Headset for use with a protable marine radio.

Does anyone know of a waterproof headset available?

Id be real interested to hear from anyone on this too. My own research showed you can buy headsets that will literally work underwater, but very, very expensive. Id like one that works with GMRS and VHF. The only option I could find quickly was radio with wireless mike velcroed to PFD. Not sure how waterproof it would be. But I think that Shawn, Mitch O and AK Mike have posted on this issue before so I plan to do some more forum searching of prior threads.

+1
    Ahoy..yes Blue you are referring to the SWAT headsets made by Underwater Divers Occassional Swimmers set...yes they are expensive and do not include the radio. The other system you can find that is less expensive but not 'inexpensive' is located at www.murrays.com

You can talk to Steve there for info and they are sold with the Gath Headgear..FYI on that..

Also, there is another idea I've been toying around with the Morro Bay harbormaster, inserting a marine radio into the PWC...I'll have some photos to post on this later, but you can buy these systems for under $200 and install into your PWC with a little cunning, I think we are going to put the mike in a mirror (remove mirror but use casing)....so far its still a handheld Marine band inserted into a waterproof bag that works the best for me..you can also get these bags which I think are pretty good at Murrays from AQUAPAC...

Thanks for that Shawn. Thats great info. Ive always liked the Gath (esp the Gedi) and the special radio sounds very cool. I just learned about those Aquapacks. Ive been into many stores and when I asked if they had waterproof bags for GMRS that you can talk through everyone thought I was dreaming. But thats what the aquapack can do and it allows you to get by with cheap water resistant GMRS. My Motorola GMRS works great in the snow but gave out within about 30 minutes on the water just from my wet hands. I finally got my handheld VHF to work right and really enjoyed monitoring traffic at recent water festival here. But I had to wear the thing around my neck stuffed into my PFD and could not get the hands free mike to work. No way to hear it either at any kind of speed.

I like having the GMRS to communicate with other riders or anyone I let ride my ski. Its very disturbing to stand on the beach and see friend on ski stall out in the bay with no way to communicate. I like being able to say if you get into trouble, open glovebox and hail me on radio. And the GMRS is so much cheaper than the Rhino. You dont get the other riders GPS location which is great added safety but much more expensive. I really liked AK Mike's built in VHF with whip atennae but I want too avoid the extra weight and room required. Ive also not had much luck finding telescoping whip antennae with easy mount so for now its line of sight only. So, the info here is much appreciated!

+1
    Would you rather have an electric wench? i mean winch..LOL

I'm just kidding..yeah the aquapac is really good...I am too tired to look up my photo archives right now, I'm actually trying to organize to upload a photo library of gear for my students in our forums so they can go there for reference and I can save time in so many requests....should be beneficial as long as contact info remains current...

Santos took this pic of me wearing my 'bags'...in the LB2CAT a few ago...
    http://flickr.com/photos/k38shawn/26...7606304244842/
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Trailer winch2.jpg 
Views:	627 
Size:	282.4 KB 
ID:	87049  

Thanks for some info. I have a waterproof vhf portable radio, the main reason for a headset or earpiece is that you can't hear the radio when riding.

Shaun

What is that vest you are wearing in the attached pic?

+1
    The best Lifejacket made so far, Type V swiftwater rates, its a Force 6, they are not cheap, but well worth the investment in my life, I love it. Murrays.com also sells those (steve), but you have to ask for the black one or they come in international orange, which isn't bad either. I just bought 2 more myself as I rotate gear frequently.

The Comm's well, here goes. Unless you fork out 500-1400.00 you are not going to get a reliable comm set wtih ear/bone/throat mic capabilites that works...otherwise you'll have to keep piecing out the less expensive units and will eventually pay the big bucks collectively over replacement time.

In my experience over many years of comm set use, you still cannot hear the comm device until you shut off the PWC and hail on your end. Wind shear, helmet/hoodie, and the sound of the PWC and forward motion will block out audible sounds. Unless you have a handheld turned up way high on the volume placed next to your shoulder/ear you will not hear and by the end of the day tinuitis.

Basically hand held comm's are for stopped position use for hailing, not for underway op's.

There are a few newer companies producing products you are searching for, but they are not waterproof, but water resistant.

As an operator of a PWC, the comm set should be on your person and not stored on your boat, in case of separation. And if you store on board, they need to be padded properly or the radio will be destroy or GPS..or EPIRB....or....

Force 6

I tried on a Force 6 at a show and was very impressed! I think Mustang is marketing a PFD that is very similar as well; http://www.mustangsurvival.com/produ...?id=589&mc=122 I'm thinking about giving one a try. Shawn's right about the radios, you can't really use them underway; we leave ours turned up max on the volume and don't always catch everything, but at least we know there's comms traffic...and of course, you need to stop to talk anyway. I've done some comms underway, but only at speeds below 20 mph with our setups.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	radio.jpg 
Views:	682 
Size:	89.3 KB 
ID:	87632  

+1
    Yeah Mike, the Mustang Survival is a Force 6. I'm using the instructor black and the international orange fabric colors, I'm sold on them, I know this lifejacket saves lives, it alreayd saved mine on January 11, 2008, that's the best tetimonial I can give.
    Shawn

Thread Information