Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 1997 GTX

1997 GTX

I am a new owner of a Seadoo 1997 GTX. I have a few questions to help with performance. If I am starting from rest and I hit the throttle the ski doesn't seem to give me good acceleration. However, maybe 5 seconds later the power kicks in. I was wondering if this is due to the ski planing or if there is something I can do, maybe clean the carbs, and how to do it. I have the service manual to help with anything. Thanks for any help

+1
    The wearring in the jet pump is probally shot,look in the back of the jet nozzle with a flashlight & if you see a white color around the impeller,you need a new wearring.

Normal is a black color & almost touches the impeller.

I got a chance to look at the impeller just not with a flashlight. I will take a look with one tommorrow but it seemed to look fine. If this isn't the issue than what else could it be?

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Worx gave you the most likely candidate.

It could be a rocked prop (rocks made the leading edges jagged and tough, and bent them). Poor seal between pump and ride shoe. Bad seal between ride shoe and pump.

Pull the pump and post us up pics for evaluation if you like.

Welcome to the board!

+1
    i had the same prob with my ski,it just wouldnt launch out of the hole like i thought it should.i changed all my fuel lines(like it says in many of the threads) cleaned the carbs and the fuel seperator and the little screens in the carbs.it went alot better afterwards. if you havnt done this yet i would start there! one of my accelerator nossles was clogged as well. good luck
    Last edited by 1fastrat; 08-01-2008 at 02:49 PM.

Well I checked the wear ring and it looked to be fine. I still don't have the power out of the start. I will try to give it all and the engine will only go to 5k rpms and then won't speed up for awhile after without moving the throttle. I tried to pull a tuber today who weighed 130 and the people on the ski weighed 450 lbs. There was a lot of trouble getting going. I would try to give it gas and it would give me power til 4-5k and then would just just a rev to 7k.
    I also checked the fuel lines and they are black if that matters.

97 GTXs had pump shoe sealing issues. If you comfirm your carbon ring is good, accordian boot doesn't have a split in it, and the pump seal is good, the ride plate will have to be removed and reinstalled with "The Right Stuff" sealer.

So since I'm new to PWCs I should probably have a shop look at this or will the shop manual make is easy to do?

Dowload it and decide for yourself, it's free at the top of the page.

If your are mechanically inclined jump on it...it's not hard. Otherwise, pay someone else to do it.

I just called my local shop and they suggested starting wwith cleaning the carbs. But they want 250 tp doi it. So I was wondering how hard it would be and I do have the shop manual for it too

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information