+1

Question Trailering question (I know wrong forum)

Hey Guys,

I need some advice and need it tonight and this forum gets a lot more traffic than the trailering area. So I hope the moderators leave it here for awhile.

I am forced to haul a utility trailer where most of the weight on the trailer is behind the axle. No other way to haul this load. As you can imagine, there is no weight on the hitch and is in fact negative. Meaning I have to lean on it to get the front end of the trailer down to hitch it up. Again there is no way to change the load.

So what should I watch for while pulling this load?

Should I avoid the freeway and keep my speed down?

Help......

Can u add weight like a spare tire etc even just some ballast to the tounge area? if not make sure your coupler and ball are perfect and pin the latching mechanism and criss cross your chains

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMANN View Post
    Can u add weight like a spare tire etc even just some ballast to the tounge area? if not make sure your coupler and ball are perfect and pin the latching mechanism and criss cross your chains

+1

+1

Becareful, depending on the gross weight of the trailer vs. what your pulling it with. the negitive tongue could put lift on the rear of the towing vehicle, thus at higher speeds will cause the trailer to jerk the vehicle back and forth. Thus the trailer driving the vehicle. there are alot of factors involved. If your tow vehicle is a decent vehicle and the GTW is not excessive, you should be fine, just take it easy and you'll know rather quickly if it is unsafe or not.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by MKaman View Post
    +1

Becareful, depending on the gross weight of the trailer vs. what your pulling it with. the negitive tongue could put lift on the rear of the towing vehicle, thus at higher speeds will cause the trailer to jerk the vehicle back and forth. Thus the trailer driving the vehicle. there are alot of factors involved. If your tow vehicle is a decent vehicle and the GTW is not excessive, you should be fine, just take it easy and you'll know rather quickly if it is unsafe or not.
    Thanks guys, I am feeling much better.

It sounds like I have done everything I could have. I got as much weight forward as I could but I think it would take at least 150 lbs to make any real difference and don't have any place that I can put that.
    I will double check the pin and ball/hitch connection and the chains are always crisscrossed.

The load probably weighs 700 lbs on a trailer rated for 1500 lbs. Vehicle is rated to pull 3500 lbs. So all that should be OK there. However, I can hear the trailer clunking the hitch insert up and down. Something that never happens when the tongue weight is correct.

So I will go slow and easy and stop frequently.

Thanks guys, I sure appreciate the input.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by drtbk4ever View Post
    ...I can hear the trailer clunking the hitch insert up and down. Something that never happens when the tongue weight is correct...
    Adjust the ball coupler tension as tight as you can, just shy of the tension spring binding up. Often the tension adjustment is a nut underneath the coupler, that moves up when you latch the coupler.

Set it tight (but not quite binding) and you will reduce the amount of play in the ball coupler, even with negative tongue load.

If you can, secure some large exercise weights (barbell weights) onto or under the tongue.

OR, if you can, move the axle rearward under the trailer frame.

+1
    Hey Guys, thought I would post a follow up to this. I tightened up the ball coupler as suggested. I had no way of hanging weights on the front of the trailer so I went with what I had.

(If I had known how negative the tongue weight was, I would have put a couple of sidewalk blocks in the front of the trailer before loading it - Next time I'll know).

I took my time and found that if I got going any faster than 60 mph, the trailer would start to sway back and forth a little. So I took my time and a 2.25 hour trip took me 3 hours with the slower speed and a couple of stops to check the trailer.

We all survived and I only really broke into a sweat on a 20 mile really bumpy stretch of highway (where I slowed down to about 50mph).

Thanks everyone for your input.

Cheers.

trailer tongue weight

pulled a car trailer with small car on it once toungue was a little light. Tow vehicle was a little inadequate no brakes on trailer. Young and thought I knew what I was doing. Needless to say it did not go well the trailer tried to past me at 65 mph still attached to the car on I80. Never pulled a heavy trailer again without trailer brakes. Most important dont hit the brakes it just gets worse.

Thread Information