Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Considering WR500

I am going to look at a 1988 WR500 in the next couple of days. Is there any common problems I should be looking for when I get there? Is there something that I might see that should make me just walk away from the ski? The lady wants $500 with the trailer.

John

its old, its slow...but, it's bullet proof... if its been a fresh water ski your pretty much good to go.. listen to it run if possible...let us know

Thanks for the reply. I was definitely aware of the slow part, I got some seat time on one back in the late 80's but I'm very glad to hear my suspicions of reliability were right. I'm figuring for the money it'll be good enough to take the kids out for a ride and it'll be really nice to be able to have a spare machine for friends and family to ride. Now if the owner would just call me I'd be all set.

John

I would Walk away....

You will become very bored and Frustrated within 10 mins.... > because you will want More Power.... To have fun with your Family.....
    Last edited by CatRunner; 08-02-2008 at 09:25 AM.

its good you know in advance what they are like .. to look for

1.check your impeller and intake .. corrosion will lift the stainless liner and eventually hit the impeller
    2. check the impeller for bits missing .. this will prob.have an o/e aluminum ( you can file this a bit tio clean it up)
    3. check your plate and grate for missing bolts or corroded surfaces
    4.check your fuel fillters in the tank (most fall off the tube and layin the bottom, letting trash into your carbs) epoxie will fix these.
    5.check your hood .. lots will have cracks at the hinge area( can fix with plates or find a good one on e bay .
    6. dont listen to the naysayers this thing is bulletproof, is fun to submarine (round nose skis are harder to do this with) and slide out...its bout as safe to ride as you can get for a kid or new rider and more people will say thay had or rode one in the day than any other ski.....
    Last edited by w/rpm500; 08-02-2008 at 10:04 AM.

Thanks for the detailed info. As for the lack of power, its not the only machine we have to ride so its not really a huge deal. The main thing I was looking for was things to look out for and w/rpm500 certainly took care of that. The owner emailed me last night that she had a deposit on it, today she dropped me a line saying the buyer backed out because it was too expensive to put a hitch on his car. Its only 10 minutes from here but I'm working tomorrow so she said I could have a look at it in the afternoon. I hope it isn't gone by then.

John

Quote Originally Posted by atc250r View Post
    Thanks for the detailed info. As for the lack of power, its not the only machine we have to ride so its not really a huge deal. The main thing I was looking for was things to look out for and w/rpm500 certainly took care of that.
    John
    Ok CoooL, as I read the post I thought that this was gonna be your first pwc.

w/rpm500 posted some good info, a test ride would really confirm if you should buy this ski.

No sweat. More info is always a good thing. I meant to put it in my sig that I already have one but I forgot to, I did it now.

John

I checked it out tonight. It started right up and ran great but the hull was pretty beat up. I don't need a beauty queen but I don't want to ride around on an eyesore either. I'm going to have a look at a 1991 WR650 tomorrow, it looks like it might be in better shape.

John

Thanks to everyone for your input. I ended up buying the 1990 650 LX today. It was in absolutely fantastic condition (no sun fade, even on the black parts) so I couldn't pass it up at $750 with a Triton aluminum trailer. It never saw salt water, was never even run up onto the beach and the bottom of the hull is scratch free to prove it. I think I'll end up being glad I bucked up a little for a slightly more powerful machine. If anyone is interested I'll take some pics the next time I have the cover off.

John
    Last edited by atc250r; 08-13-2008 at 08:14 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information