through-hull bearing installation help needed

I am trying to replace the through-hull bearing but can't get the drive shaft to come out. I have pulled the entire pump out nut the drive shaft didn't come out with it?!? Any thoughts on how to pull the drive shaft out?

Wiggle it back and forth a little bit. Did you loosen the worm gear clamps around the thru hull bearing carrier?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Has it come out of the engine coupler yet?

If not, then wiggle and PULL. Be careful when it lets go.

If the drive shaft HAS come out of the coupler, then it may be hung up on the seal in the through-hull bearing. Wiggle and pull, but more wiggle than pull.

thanks guys I'll give it a shot in the am and let u know how of goes. Should I be putting sealant on anything specific when reinstalling everything???

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by kepneriphone View Post
    ...Should I be putting sealant on anything specific when reinstalling everything???
    Put good quality waterproof grease on the coupler and impeller splines, and grease the seal lips before sliding the shaft through.

Make sure the through-hull bearing seal lips don't get caught/torn on the shaft or folded over.

Make sure the rubber bumpers are in good shape and in place on both ends of the drive shaft.

Grease the O-Ring or ribbed seal where the drive shaft seals inside the impeller hub.

If you have to force the shaft into the engine coupler, you might need to check that the alignment is OK.

Once you have it all back together, pump waterproof grease into the through-hull bearing until it starts to seep out past the front seal. Then pump a little more grease in after each ride, until you feel you have pushed any air pockets out.

It doesn't hurt to pump a little grease in after a long ride, or when it is going to sit for a while unused. Just don't over do it, or you'll just be making a mess as the grease spins off the drive shaft while you are riding.

Put anti-seize compound on the jet pump sections as you reassemble it. Make sure each section mates cleanly with the next, no bumps or grit in the way.

Thread Information